1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some research on sights for my cheap Turkish 1911 (runs 100%) in the hands of a shooter it's accurate with "GI" sights. I'm not going to pay to have novak or bomar sights installed on a $400 pistol. I have done my homework and know I need a narrow tenon front sight. I have found the MGW white dot sights at Brownells and want some feedback before I buy since there is a chance I missed something? any other drop in target sights for GI pistols? oh! and I do not need night sights.

thank you!

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
any other drop in target sights for GI pistols? oh! and I do not need night sights.

thank you!

no such thing as "drop-in" sights .
Nearly all will require some fitting (filing on the sight not the slide)
and obviously you'll need some sort of staking tool for the front.. a good punch will work in a pinch, but there are better tools for the job

anyway, there's a fair amount of sights available.
Look for "standard" or GI cut .
You might even see them listed as "Colt 70 series"
Those will all be .330 x 65 degree

LPA makes an adjustable sight (if that's what you mean by "target"
sights) in that cut .

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...ent-with-narrow-tenon-front-sight-steel-3-dot

If you browse e-bay for 1911 sights, you'll see some options there too..

.L.T.A.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
The thing you might have missed is that if I recall correctly, the narrow tenon front sight from those folks is a wide front sight. This may be the least expensive option you can find but may not be the best use of one's funds.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing you might have missed is that if I recall correctly, the narrow tenon front sight from those folks is a wide front sight. This may be the least expensive option you can find but may not be the best use of one's funds.
yes I need a wide sight with a white dot and a rear sight with dots this would be my least expensive option unless I score on ebay?

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Well, think of a 100 square foot building. Would you put it on a fifty square foot foundation. The wide front sight on a narrow tenon is just not the best idea. I understand you do not want to sink money into a 400 dollar blaster but my point was penny wise and pound foolish.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so a wide front sight is a bad idea on a narrow tenon? will it come loose just from shooting it? this is strictly a range gun fired every other weekend,

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Both narrow tenon and wide tenon front sights have gone AWOL with the blade being in proportion to the tenon. There are shearing forces at work up there. Now when you use a sight of significantly more mass than the tenon you increase the mathematical probability of failure.

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
If properly fitted and staked, the wide front sight on the narrow tenon will stay put. I have several pistols with narrow tenon fronts which have lived for years with lots of use.

As far as sight sets go, there are high GI style rear sights which give a good improved sight picture, Colt and SA MilSpecs come to mind. Also, the 10-8 and Harrison type retro sight. You can choose the corresponding front sight which gives the sight picture you desire.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
will it come loose just from shooting it?
loose or break off is a greater chance compared to wide tenon ...simply cause there's more "meat" on wide tenon

if you want to go least expensive , check these out
I put a set of these on an RIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-45-BLA...d=100011&prg=1005&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=231010593112&

put a set of these on another RIA I owned, and actually liked them better

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-45-BLA...040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cd3c5598

both held tight for me (6000+ rnds on one pistol and 4200+ on the other before i sold them)

if you go with either set, expect substantial filing to fit the rear.
They're made by John Masen Co ..which isn't the greatest manufacture in the world when it comes to holding tight tolerances ....:rofl:

But they're made of real steel ..and you can also dehorn the rear or even reshape the profile a bit to be less bulky (I did) ..touch up with cold blue

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you Cappi, I like the 3 dots and if I have to buy a GI 1911 just to try the other set you gave a link to so that puts off buying the RIA tactical that I wanted... lol!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I have been told (perhaps incorrectly) that the Turkish GI's may in fact have an .080 or "medium" Tenon front sight. Dawson Precision used to list all three sizes in several styles but I just looked and saw only fiber optic in medium.

If it is medium then a small replacement would fall right in. A medium would require some hand fitting and a large even more.

There are several other things to consider besides Tenon size. Have a look at this chart-

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
The middle size is what Soringfid Armory uses.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Well I wish I could find what some of the more distinguished gun doctors have had to say about staked front sights in general and specifically wide front sights on narrow tenons. They have said it right here. My only hard use 1911 in a .45 caliber with a wide tenon loosened. Maybe it was the free ammunition in those days in that caliber. What will the savings be if the new front sight takes off as has happened to many others?

The OP will need to buy tools or farm it out. What will the real savings be? Who will guarantee from afar his DIY effort or that of his local service provider will be the mysterious "properly" executed method instead of the "improperly" staked front sight many have experience with? My use of the terms proper and improper stem from seeing them used here. I am not certain there is a difference. I think it could just be physics.

I receive no commission from the sale of sights nor do I receive any compensation from their installation. I do have a dovetailed front sight from pistol wrench done about twenty years ago. Flawless execution and still there.

I do recall two of the three requisites Mr. Cooper enumerated about pistols that have a bearing. Sights you can use and reliability. Sights are not reliable if they have a questionable track record.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
loose or break off is a greater chance compared to wide tenon ...simply cause there's more "meat" on wide tenon

if you want to go least expensive , check these out
I put a set of these on an RIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-45-BLA...d=100011&prg=1005&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=231010593112&

put a set of these on another RIA I owned, and actually liked them better

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-45-BLA...040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cd3c5598

both held tight for me (6000+ rnds on one pistol and 4200+ on the other before i sold them)

if you go with either set, expect substantial filing to fit the rear.
They're made by John Masen Co ..which isn't the greatest manufacture in the world when it comes to holding tight tolerances ....:rofl:

But they're made of real steel ..and you can also dehorn the rear or even reshape the profile a bit to be less bulky (I did) ..touch up with cold blue

..L.T.A.

Thank you for the links Cappi, I just bought the last set of the sights in your second link, and donated a dollar to help Veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan! Happy Veterans day everyone and thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Have you spent some time shooting a pistol with 3 dots? I ask cuz I hate them black sharpied mine. All I need to see is a front site and light bands. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Thank you for the links Cappi, I just bought the last set of the sights in your second link!
there'll be more if you need them.
Vil-Tac and Reddogalska sell a million of those sights on ebay

be prepared to file a LOT on the rear sight as i mentioned .
cause the dovetail base will be WAY over sized most likely .
but just take your time and do your best to file straight/square/true (calipers will help with that) and you'll be fine

..L.T.A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts