Colt CCO sight radius:
5.750"

Front sight:
XS Standard Dot Tritium
.140" wide x .180" tall.

Rear Sight:
Modified Novak low mount.
.162" wide 'U' x .120" deep.

Height of rear sight was adjusted for POA/POI.
Point of impact set to top of front sight at 10 yds.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Those look good-should be easy to pick up even while wearing bifocals.:cool: Glad to see someone is meeting the need to keep a generation of mature shooters going.

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
I was wondering when someone would make a rounded rear notch for those dots or vials. Nice work, especially with the rounded front sight. Makes for a cohesive package.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Right on ! Beautiful ! ..... I have a little 10mm Bilby Built Caspian that Brian built in 99' for me and he did this rear cut on a Heinie Slant Pro with a white dot up front. Damn simple sight picture and very quick.

Harold H.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
my STI Ranger II has something very similar with a small tritium one dot centered in the Heinie back and that nice tritium in the large white dot as the front. i shoot in bit or tri-focals depending on what is with me at the time and those sights are easy to pick up on the STI.

it was an option when i ordered the gun and now having seen it i was very glad i had it
added as it works very well with either my bi or tri focals.

nice pics by the way.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Inexpensive Option

Front sight - Springfield GI was customized using a Q-tip w/liquid florescent, acrylic paint. Brand: DecoArt - Hot Shots 'Torrid Orange' color, label indicates metal surfaces! Cost was $2.49 plus tax at Ben Franklin (a short walk from the house). Masking tape applied to surrounding areas, and fast drying, too! Appears as a gunsmith's orange insert & paint edges look neat and straight from a foot away. (Also: Testors florescent hobby paint or fingernail polish).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Try some shooting glasses with progressive lenses. They work wonders on old eyes, especially with Bo-Mar sights.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Excellent thinking and beautiful execution, Chuck. It appears that the eye should immediately recognize when the front sight is on target and the rear sight cradles the front sight.

Is there any chance that you might do some manufacturing and supply only the rear sight to those who would prefer to do the installation at home?

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robert,
Gosh knows I wish I could!
I've got about a dozen projects that I'd like to spend some time on, but I'm overdue on a dozen full-house builds.
I posted the dimensions. Any good smith should be able to modify a rear sight by using the numbers and looking at the pics.
:cool:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
pistolwrench said:
Robert,
Gosh knows I wish I could!
I've got about a dozen projects that I'd like to spend some time on, but I'm overdue on a dozen full-house builds.
I posted the dimensions. Any good smith should be able to modify a rear sight by using the numbers and looking at the pics.
:cool:
Yeah, well, every good smith I know so far is you and the others here who are booked up past what remains of my useful lifetime. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dave Berryhill said:
Deja vu Chuck. I was just talking about that type of sight system with someone.

Most excellent dude!
Dave You sold me the 10-8 rear sight for my Wilson and I love it but I want to try a small dot Xpress sight where can I order just the front sight with tritium. Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
907 Posts
http://xssights.com/

Pat: I ordered two a few weeks ago. One is now on my KZ9, with Wilson's Boot Sight opened up to .160". The other is on my duty Springfield, with a 10-8 rear at .156" (one of that special batch Hilton just did). Ned did that one this week and my slide is due back today. I have not shot the KZ9, but dry firing showed me that the sight picture is a hell of a lot easier to see and more important the front easier to pick up.
I am planning to hit the range this weekend for a couple of purposes and will probably confirm that. You will need a wider than standard notch to really make this work.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The idea of this is site seems great, but I have a question; there is not ampule on the front site, so in the dark, how do you know where your front sight is?
To me it could be on the right side or left side of the rear sight and you would not have a clue. Am I missing something here? Perhaps this is not a low level light sight.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
golfer1 said:
The idea of this is site seems great, but I have a question; there is not ampule on the front site, so in the dark, how do you know where your front sight is?
To me it could be on the right side or left side of the rear sight and you would not have a clue. Am I missing something here? Perhaps this is not a low level light sight.
Read the description again. The front dot has a tritium insert, hence, it is a night sight that glows when dark.

·
Registered
907 Posts
rear sight

The darned thing is huge, and you should not need tritium in it to find it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts