1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first it didn't bother me so much, but now actually having tried to use my 1911 for accuracy work, the GI sights leave a considerable amount to be desired.

Ultimately my plan is to have the tritium Bo-mars installed, but that's going to require some funding, especially since the gun will be refinished when it's done.

I've stopped at brownell's for a peek to see what they have, and I'm seeing some pretty good options.

I like the PSI adjustable sights, and King's has some decent looking fixed ones. I'm looking for something with some white to it. I like the bar and the dot, but I'll settle for three dots, outline with dots, or two dots, but the main concern is durability.

I'd prefer something that sticks up off the slide a bit, as I do better with taller sights than the low mount carry type.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep the price down as much as I can as they're only temporary, but I don't want something that's going to fall apart before I get something better.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Kings offers three dot sights that will drop in (similar to the Mil Spec sights) provided you know how to stake the front sight. I'm not sure of the front tennon (sp?) size you'll need, you'll have to know that before buying. You could buy three dot Mil Spec sights direct from Springfield or send it in and have them do it. Good luck-

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Kings' makes a medium tennon sight, I've got one on a G.I. I went with the Yost/Bonitz Retro for the rear.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are the King's Target #109 sights? I like they way they look, and they way they sit on the slide. I do have a local shop that can stake in the front and punch in the rear btw. I was thinking of the 3 dot system. Anyone use them? Good or bad?

·
Registered
559 Posts
i ran a set of the Kings Tappan style on a past Rock Island GI style pistol. nice sights maintaining a classic look.

on my current ser 70 Colt i'm going yost retro rear and a serrated millett stake-on front.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Kings' sights are good juju, in my opinion. Highly visible dot on the front, no extra bells and whistles. Just a solid and useable front sight. Lemme see if I can post a pic here.

Oops.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really like the King's Hardballer rear sight, especially after it's had the corners rounded a bit and the notch opened up a bit. They do offer the correct tenon size for the Springer, which is in between the old and the new Colt sizes. One front sight I really like is the Kings one that has the white cross on it. Not a dot fan at all, but lots of folks are, so what do I know :)?

With the cross, you've got a bright, eye-catching white line that goes all the way to the top of the sight, so it gives you a really precise aiming point. Also, the black blade/white line combination gives you good contrast no matter what the background (well, maybe not for zebra hunting). Furthermore, the horizontal bar gives you a long range reference point.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Could do the same thing my dad did on his High power, practiced cutting grooves on a penny, then grooved the front sight and mixed model paint with clear epoxy and filled the groove. been on the gun for 25 years and shows up clear as hell! Not sure if it would work as well on the GI sights, but if you find a larger sight cheap, you can DIY.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I confess, I have no clue what a 'tenon' is. I gather it's the post on the front sight that goes in the slide. You say SA has a unique width?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts