1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got to the range today with my new Sig P238, which is a .380 auto. This gun shot great and felt great too. Very little recoil for a gun of this small size and no sting in the palm or your hand.

I shot about 180 rounds through it and after a couple of mags was able to settle in and shoot very accurately from 7, 9, 10 yards out. I didn't try much more than this, but it seesm it would be accurate out to 15 yards just the same. I was able to get a pretty good mass of bullets in the torso and head of a silhouette target.

I shot the same amount to both Winchester WB and Magtech FMJ in 95 grain bullets. The WWB was a flat nose and the Magtech a round nose bullet. I also shot about 12 rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHP, so I had something tested that I could carry with. I had no real problems with this gun or the performance. I had one FTE at 100 rounds and one at around 180 rounds, both were at the end of the mag. I did notice that some of the bullets were extracting, but getting crimped on the end pretty severely, especially the two that jammed. Anyway, I don't think there is much of a problem, but I will keep an eye on it and I suppose it may need to have the extractor adjusted. Also, notice that when I rammed a mag home a couple times that the slide released and racked a round. I cannot confirm if my mag is the old style that was causing the problems, but I think it is the new style follower. My serial number is over 7500, so I don't have an early pistol.

Overall, I really like this pistol and it is very comfortable to carrry in a pocket or with a t-shirt. I plan to carry it with some Buffalo Bore +P ammo, which supposedly is getting some great ballistics, penetration, and expansion. The pistol is spendy at $650+ for the stainless, night sights, and blackwood grips, but what the hell you can't take the money with you. :rock:

Out!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had Failures to Extract on the last round also, and it was one of the bad mags. The follower sits a bit higher on the bad mags, while the good ones have a more rounded front to them. I had some Failures to Fire too, so I send mine back to Sig. They adjusted the extractor, replaced the mainspring, replaced my magazine follower and polished the feed ramp. So far so good! I have the two tone without the night sights, and paid $409 for mine. I've replaced the plastic grips with Larry Davidson's Horned Lizards!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for your report! I've been trying to talk myself out of buying one since I first saw them. Money is a little tight now.

I may have to give up and get one soon after you guys get all the kinks worked out of them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another + for the li'l beasties. It's a nice pistol to shoot, and the size makes ideal for a BUG. Spendy must depend on area; I only have $569 in mine, with night sights and rosewood grips.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I just put one of these on lay-away last week. Now I gotta find the $ to finish paying it off and find some .380 ammo. I'm starting to get all itchy and nervous.:biglaugh:
Joe

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am starting to see .380 ammo more regularly now. Not near as much as 9, 40, and 45, but it is around. I was able to buy two boxes of WWB for $20 per box from the Sportsmen's Warehouse where I purschased the gun. I then called around a little and found that Lone Wolf had a shipment just in, so I bought three boxes of Magtech and the Speer from them. They would have sold me five boxes of Magtech, but they wanted $25 for a box and I wanted to make sure the gun liked it before loading up.

I see the self defense rounds pretty much everywhere, but you can't shoot up a lot of that for the price.

I have some bulk ammo on order to add to my stash, so it should be here in a few weeks. I think it is best just to get in the que from one of the big Internet retailers and get the ammo as it comes in. Put an order in every once in a while and you always have a stash. Their prices are much less too for bulk new ammo, not reloads.

Even if I have to send the mag back or perhaps even the gun for adjustment, I am very happy with the performance of this little guy. I got an Uncle Mikes neoprene pocket holster and a IWB version that are very comfortable with this pistol.

It is very strange to go back and forth between the full size 1911 and the P238. The 1911 feels like a .50 cal Desert Eagle after holding this little pistol for 100 rounds.

Out

·
Registered
694 Posts
i just recently discovered the sig p238 @ buds gunshop online and i like the way they look and thought they would make a good BUG but i was wondering how they perform...thanks for the report and congrats on a fine looking little gun

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked with Sig yesterday and I may have the bad mag, even though I didn't have much of a problem. They are going to send me a new mag and I ordered two additional mags, which they gave me 20% off retail. I hope the mag I have is actually good, then I will have four. :rock:

Out!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my new mags a couple days ago and after comparing them with the original, I can definitely tell the one that came with the gun has the higher "old style" follower. I think these three new mags will make this pistol perform flawlessly. I hope to get to range soon, as I got a shipment of .380 ammo the other day. I will post the results.

I have been carrying this fun a lot and it's like it's not even there. :rock:

Out!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got a new P238 a week ago myself. I have about 300 rounds through mine and on about maybe 10 of those rounds, the hammer fell but no primer dent. I finally found out that sometimes the slide will not quite go into battery with either the first round or the second round from a full magazine. The out of battery condition was so slight that the disconnector hadn't moved enough to prevent the hammer from falling. The slide was, however, just far enough back to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin squarely with enough energy. Of course, once the hammer strikes the back of the firing pin stop, the gun goes into battery concealing the original fault. This intermittent failure to fire was maddening until I stumbled across the slight out of battery condition before I pulled the trigger.

I am chalking this up to a recoil spring not being quite strong enough to reliably strip the top 2 rounds off a full magazine while magazine spring pressure is at its greatest. I just ordered some recoil springs from Wolff for a Colt Mustang .380 to see if one of their springs will put the final reliability touch on my little P238. I ordered one at the standard 11 lbs and their extra power one at 12 lbs.

On the magazine follower issue that the early mags had, the new style follower is needed for the last round to eject properly. A normal Colt Mustang follower has too high a peak at the front which causes the last ejecting brass to bump against it on its way out of the chamber. Reportedly, Sig's version of the Mustang is designed so that the barrel tilts down a little farther than the original Mustang design, thus aiming the ejecting brass at more of a down angle towards the magazine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts