1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I put this here because my primary interest for this can is on AR type SBRs in 5.56mm and .300BLK- If the subject is better suited for either the general or other rifles areas, please feel free to move it...

I just recently became aware that SilencerCo had released this new model. I've been considering their Saker 7.62 for some time, and it seems that procrastinating may have paid off. Its at least 1/2" shorter, 6.7oz lighter, and has 5.5db, 4db, and 5db greater suppression in .300, 5.56. and .308 respectively. It does use a different mounting system, the ASR type vs the MAAD mounts.

While the Omega looks great on paper, and reviews seem positive, I'm interested in the experiences of the membership here. Is it an improvement over the Saker? does it have any flaws that I'm not seeing?

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting. They are a little pricey.
MSRP is less than that of the older Saker 7.62 by a couple hundred bucks... I don't know what the real street price is, but the shop that I saw one in yesterday (and they don't have a reputation for bargain pricing) offered it for <$800 to .mil...

Suppressors are on thing that I research the heck out of before buying, as they're one time purchases- given the tax and wait, and the inability to 'exchange' it if you don't like it. I'm not going to buy several .30 cal cans, I'll get one, maybe 2... so I'm willing to pay for the best available at the time I buy.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've handled one in person, but never shot with it.

It's not quite as "bulletproof" as the saker, but it is much lighter and shorter. It can be configured differently with flat front end cap and direct thread or ASR so that's neat. It would also be even shorter in that configuration.

How short is your 556 sbr? Omega is "only" rated down to 10" so if you want to use it on anything shorter, saker is your answer.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update for those that may be interested... I exchanged a series of emails with MR Jacob Stam from SilencerCos customer service.

- The Saker uses a stellite baffle stack, the Omega uses stellite for the blast baffle and stainless steel for the rest of the stack. The reason is twofold: Stellite, while stronger (and thus able to handle shorter barrels) is significantly heavier than stainless; low weight was a primary objective when designing the Omega. Second, stainless welds better to the titanium tube than stellite; its a much stronger weld.

- The Omega was tested successfully to 7.5" with 300BLK, both super and sub sonic loads.

- with the optional flat endcap (rather than the standard muzzle break cap), the OAL of the Omega is 6.75"

- While the MADD mount offers 1 handed use, the ASR mount is easier to ensure that it's mounted properly.

- Both cans are 'sealed' and cannot be disassembled for cleaning- this is the norm for most centerfire cans. There are no materials in either suppressor that will be damaged by the peroxide/vinegar 'dip'. However, SilencerCo does NOT recommend such a cleaning process due to the toxic byproducts. They do not believe that cleaning is necessary, other than the exposed threads and contact points.

All in all, I think the Omega will probably be my next suppressor, once I free up the disposable income...

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
First, I put this here because my primary interest for this can is on AR type SBRs in 5.56mm and .300BLK- If the subject is better suited for either the general or other rifles areas, please feel free to move it...

I just recently became aware that SilencerCo had released this new model. I've been considering their Saker 7.62 for some time, and it seems that procrastinating may have paid off. Its at least 1/2" shorter, 6.7oz lighter, and has 5.5db, 4db, and 5db greater suppression in .300, 5.56. and .308 respectively. It does use a different mounting system, the ASR type vs the MAAD mounts.

While the Omega looks great on paper, and reviews seem positive, I'm interested in the experiences of the membership here. Is it an improvement over the Saker? does it have any flaws that I'm not seeing?
I found some interesting and info that I think you might like.

Here it is:
https://www.full30.com/video/c378917a3cb7937ef2cb80aba2a9dce5

IMHO, I think the 300 blackout in an AR platform is the perfect round to be silenced. It has the right weigh, energy and performance that is needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts