1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys , my first time to the forum. I need input from the experienced guys.
I was told today by a gun shop that in their opinion it was not a good idea to put a silencer on a 1911 in 45acp. They said it was dangerous, could cause the barrel to rupture. Is this a true concern?
They have no concern doing it in 9mm.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
GL1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have been putting suppressors on 1911's long before most 9mm's were dreamed of.
I appreciate the responses. I just bought a new Rock Island 1911 in 45acp and from the Factory it is threaded for a suppressor. If this was an issue I just can't amagine the factory would produce it.

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. Over the years I heard many tales regarding what you can do with certain firearms, such as the 1911, from different sources. What ammo they will work with and what type they will "never work with". Can they be suppressed, can they be ported, and several other common questions. I've heard answers from both sides of the table. You are doing the right thing, seeking additional opinions and researching the subject. The answer they gave you needs to be decoded: "They said it was dangerous, could cause the barrel to rupture." What they are actually saying is, "We don't want to mess with this, go away."

My $0.02
Grumpy

·
Registered
286 Posts
Any ammo is subsonic going with .45, but 9mm subsonic ammo is quieter and cheaper than any .45 ammo. Big bullet and big through hole means you will still get a nice thump. Not sure if you can shoot .45 all day suppressed without earpro but 9mm is no issue with the proper ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Hey guys , my first time to the forum. I need input from the experienced guys.
I was told today by a gun shop that in their opinion it was not a good idea to put a silencer on a 1911 in 45acp. They said it was dangerous, could cause the barrel to rupture. Is this a true concern?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
GL1
Welcome from NW Georgia 🇬🇪.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
For a bullet leaving the muzzle of a barrel to remain subsonic, the speed will need to be less than 1,125 fps. A 1911 with a silencer like a Gemtech, is able to significantly reduce the sound of a ,45acp fired from a pistol if the MV is in the 800-900 muzzle velocity range, which is roughly the average of US military .45acp 230 grain ball ammo, often called "hardball loads."

·
Registered
125 Posts
For a bullet leaving the muzzle of a barrel to remain subsonic, the speed will need to be less than 1,125 fps. A 1911 with a silencer like a Gemtech, is able to significantly reduce the sound of a ,45acp fired from a pistol if the MV is in the 800-900 muzzle velocity range, which is roughly the average of US military .45acp 230 grain ball ammo, often called "hardball loads."
When one of my long awaited 45 Kimbers arrived there was snow on the ground, bitter cold, hopped on my ATV, hurried out to the BLM and I can guarantee, subsonic or not, these 45's are un-godly LOUD! Did not realize I didn't have my earplugs in yet!

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
GL1 ------------ I would really like to hear the shop's explanation of this supposed "barrel rupture" concept------------------ AND how it pertains to a .45 ACP 1911 in particular.

Why? Because I enjoy good comedy.

Also, you used the terms "they" and "their" in reference to the shop staff. Are you just being Politically Correct with your pronouns or do you mean that this was an actual consensus of MULTIPLE employees?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Doesn't compute. A ruptured barrel would require obstruction. Like jamming the business end down into the dirt to completely block the bullet's exit. Suppressors don't do that.

I suggest finding a better gun shop, or just ignoring those employees.

·
Registered
172 Posts
… not a good idea to put a silencer on a 1911 in 45acp. They said it was dangerous, …
Guess they read it on the internet?
Not true, 45ACP (230) on a 1911 suppresses nicely.
9mm (147) on a 1911 is a little quieter using same can.

Both are shooting FedRed at indicated weights. 45 is commander sized and 9mm is gubment model.

(general advice)
buy one already threaded, as aftermarket can get expensive between barrel cost and fitting.
You also would need to know if its a clark, Wilson or some other ramp type.

Another thought is to call the manufacturer if the 1911 you want (own) needs a threaded barrel as some companies like sig and dan wesson have a reputation of getting one installed for reasonable cost.

a suppressor makes perfect sense on a home defense gun. Hornady even has a wide safe (tractor supply) you can leave the can on full time.

·
Registered
28,128 Posts
It sounds like you are talking to some really stupid, or perhaps just misinformed people. At any rate they are clearly without a clue. I have been shooting a suppresed .45 acp handgun for a number of years. No burst barrels to date
Air gun Bumper Trigger Automotive exterior Machine gun

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The .45 ACP operates at about half the chamber pressure of the 9mm. All that fire and flame flows through a barrel with 56% greater cross sectional area. Both of these things argue against a "rupture", all other things being equal.
Unless perhaps they thought you wanted to build a suppressor for .45 auto, but using their 9 mm components, I can't imagine what made them think that a suppressed .45 ACP would be more problematic.

Reactions: IraG2362
1 - 20 of 40 Posts