1911Forum banner

Silencing a 1911 in 45acp ?

1592 39
Hey guys , my first time to the forum. I need input from the experienced guys.
I was told today by a gun shop that in their opinion it was not a good idea to put a silencer on a 1911 in 45acp. They said it was dangerous, could cause the barrel to rupture. Is this a true concern?
They have no concern doing it in 9mm.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
GL1
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have been putting suppressors on 1911's long before most 9mm's were dreamed of.
I appreciate the responses. I just bought a new Rock Island 1911 in 45acp and from the Factory it is threaded for a suppressor. If this was an issue I just can't amagine the factory would produce it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
GL1 ------------ I would really like to hear the shop's explanation of this supposed "barrel rupture" concept------------------ AND how it pertains to a .45 ACP 1911 in particular.

Why? Because I enjoy good comedy.

Also, you used the terms "they" and "their" in reference to the shop staff. Are you just being Politically Correct with your pronouns or do you mean that this was an actual consensus of MULTIPLE employees?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I went back to the text and here is exactly what the said initially , "Garrett I'm sorry for the delayed response. Seeing that these are 1911 firearms we don't recommend using a silencer on them. They do make threaded barrels we just don't recognize using them on 1911 in 45acp. The pressure is the biggest problem. " and after I asked because it's a 1911 ?? They responded, "
Yes sir because the 1911 in 45 is a thin walled barrel the added back pressure can some times cause the barrel to bulge or catastrophic scenarios the barrel and slide could burst.
1911 in 9mm is fine to silence the barrel is not designed to be thin walled."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts