1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
GL1 ------------ I would really like to hear the shop's explanation of this supposed "barrel rupture" concept------------------ AND how it pertains to a .45 ACP 1911 in particular.

Why? Because I enjoy good comedy.

Also, you used the terms "they" and "their" in reference to the shop staff. Are you just being Politically Correct with your pronouns or do you mean that this was an actual consensus of MULTIPLE employees?

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
GL1 ------ Thanks for posting the shop's response. Personally, I think that they are fulla poop. Admittedly, I'm not a physics professor but I think that I have a basic understanding of how a suppressor works. Here's a few thoughts, based on that:

I imagine that a suppressor could theoretically result in a small amount of velocity increase as it, somewhat --so to speak---- effectively increases barrel length.

Yet this would be very slight as the suppressor WORKS by giving that gas an alternate route, basically a place to go, rather than propelling the bullet.

So this tiny "increase" could possibly result in a small amount of extra backpressure but this would be FAR less than that caused by, say, a hotter loading such as a " +P " cartridge which are already proven safe in .45 1911's.

Thus, I see no more risk on a .suppressed 45 1911 than one would incur by using a common , more powerful self-defense loading (like some rounds that the shop you speak of probably sells) OR by having a slightly increased length barrel, such as one on a Long Slide 1911.

No big deal. I think that maybe, unless I am profoundly incorrect, the shop owner is mistaken.

Ya know, for some tracks I have to run a more restrictive (quiet) muffler. This does NOT make my engine, or headers, explode. If there's a PSI difference, it's negligible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts