1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem rather silly, but here's a question for you.

I have by my computer a "Far Side" day-by-day calendar. Yesterday's comic featured a guy shooting a werewolf with what he thought were silver bullets; turns out the werewolf was the gun shop owner who sold the guy the bullets earlier in the day. (The punchline is that he was sold imitation silver bullets, or something like that.)

Anyway, it got me thinking: does anyone actually make silver bullets? Besides being insanely expensive, would there be any advantage to using them (bedsides shooting werewolves
)? If silver wasn't so expensive, would it be suitable material for making a bullet? Has anyone made a silver .45 ACP round?

Just curious.

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Registered
21,918 Posts
It has been done for showpiece guns and as part of a Lone Ranger gag by Lewis and Grennel at Gun World magazine 30+ years ago.
Pure silver melts well above 1600 deg. F. Most alloys have lower melting points but even silver solder, only 56% silver, melts at over 1100 degrees.
So you are not going to cast silver bullets with an 800 degree lead pot and iron molds. As the guys at GW put it, Tonto sure didn't turn these things out over a campfire. It takes jewelry equipment and techniques. Silver is harder and lower density than lead, so it might give more velocity and penetration. But you could make up the difference with harder lead alloy, jacketed bullets or solid bullets made out of zinc or copper. Copper bullets are normally turned on a lathe, but zinc can be cast in bullet making gear. Just don't get lead in your zinc or zinc in your lead supply, each will keep the other from casting properly.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I remember that gun magazine article on whether the Lone Ranger really could have used silver bullets.

Can you imagine using them, though? We are a bunch of cheapskates here. Hardly a day passes that someone isn't posting about where to buy reloading components at the absolute lowest price. Hardly likely any of us will start shooting $10 apiece silver bullets.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
21,918 Posts
No.
Low velocity pistol caliber Silvertips have aluminum jackets for easy expansion, high velocity rounds have nickel plated copper jackets just for appearance and common advertising copy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts