1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try Simple Green as a cleaner prior to lubrication w/FP-10. I field stripped my pistol and used it on the barrel, guide rod, slide stop, and bushing with great success. Since SG requires a rinse in water, I didn't want to use it on my slide without a complete disassembly, as I was afraid that the water would get in places that I couldn't clear with the hair dryer.

Is this correct? Or can I in future spray the slide with SG then dunk it in the water bath without fear?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
When I use SG or other water based degreasers (Tide) I make sure that the gun is stripped down as you describe for precisely the same concern you raise. I actually go further and remove all frame subassemblies so I can dunk the frame as well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Detail strip as you stated. Use water as hot as you can stand (the heat helps evaporation). You can dry the slide by heating in the oven (ask the wife first).

Remeber that the gun will be bone dry after you do this so a thorough lube with FP10 is required afterwards.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification gentlemen. I must say that I'm very impressed with SG's cleaning ability. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than spraying with CLP!

I'm tempted to get a small parts washer and load it up with SG. Harbor Freight has one for $49 that looks like the ticket.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Be careful using SG on alloy and aluminum framed pistols. SG is water based and is extremely alkaline. You are inviting corrosion if you allow SG to remain in contact with some alloys, for any length of time.

Automotive brake cleaner is more effective, as cheap - or cheaper, and a lot more safe with regards to corrosion issues.

SG is not Mil-proof'd for that reason. They specifically prohibit use of SG with regards to cleaning aircraft, and other metals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts