1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here goes. As crazy at it may sound, I've started using simple green on my USP and Glocks. Now I'm wondering if it's safe to use on my stainless 1991??? Does anyone know for sure? I know it's water based and I would have to be VERY careful to make sure eveything is DRY and to lube well, but is it a viable alternative to hoppes?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It's used frequently in restaurants to clean kitchen equipment. Just to be safe, why not try it on an old kitchen knife or something similar?

Just a thought,

Mac

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
we use it to clean massage tables at the school. I have not seen any rust on any of the screws are other metal parts and we do not oil them. It may contain some kind of conditioner that may be undesirable on a handgun. let me know how it works. I'll be doing an experiment with a wax finish soon and will post what I find.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have been using Simple green on my guns, both blue and stainless, for a few years now with no ill effects. I also you it to clean the bore. It does a good job of getting a lot of the powder fouling out of the barrel. I then follow that with Birchwood Casy Bore Scrubber to get the copper out.

Regards,
Frank

·
Registered
63 Posts
Like you, I have used it with great success with Glocks. No problems; however, I dont think it will dissolve residue on metal frames etc as well as a good solvent.
I always use a non-toxic gun solvent indoors for my 1911 type pistols, but boy, does that Simple Green work on Glocks, just as long as you never get it or any rinse water up into the firing pin channel, where rust will eventually form under the polymer channel cap.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I use it on my pistols and revolvers, blue and stainless...Just a little goes a long way...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have used it for a year now on stainless and blued pistols. To me it strips all grease and oils along with the powder residue. I buy the big jug at Costco for very little $$ and just soak my barrels, slides, mags, and etc. about 10 to 20 mins, then I scrub all parts with oiled patches and everything comes out clean. I grease and oil all parts and have not had a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts