1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only guy left that reloads his 45 Automatic on a single stage press? I shoot an average of 1,000 rounds per month and just prefer relaxing at the single stage press for several hours. I also feel I can keep a better eye on QC.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I reload .45 acp and 9X19mm on a RCBS RockChucker II.

I want to get a Dillon 650XL with a case feeder. But, I have to clean out my garage and make space for a dedicated bench.

I reload because I shoot USPSA. And, I want to make that a serious hobby once I get my RO certification and can spend quality time at my club's action bays.

This past summer, I shot about 1,000 rounds a month. I found the reloading to be a chore. I hand primed 500 rounds at a time sitting in front of the TV. And, I resized/deprimed, or charged/loaded a couple hundred rounds after coming home from work several times a week.

With a new Dillon, I'll cut my reloading time by 3/4. And, I still get to eyebal each and every case before the bullet is seated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I still use my single stage press for all of my loading. I never shot high enough volume (even when I was shooting SASS) to justify another press.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Still using my 1983 Rockchucker.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have 2 single stag presses set up.

RCBS rockchucker and reloader special. Both very old and work great.

progresive is in my future when funds become available but in no real rush.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Don't have the patience for single stage. I detest spending more time than necessary reloading been considering getting a Dillon 650 W/case feeder just for .45 and keep the other stuff on the 550....basically if I am not putting out 400 rounds or more per hour I am not happy.

·
Super Moderator
7,806 Posts
For precision rifle, you bet.

Short range pistol, no way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yep, just loaded 500 rounds of .45 last week on my RCBS Partner. I can load about 100 rounds an hour without rushing. Gives me something to do on these long Alaskan winter nights !

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would love to have a dillon 550 or 650, but I don't have the funds now. I can load enough on my lee to keep up with my shooting for now.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have several Dillons but still use both my Rockchucker and Spartan from time to time for depriming problem cases or reloading that odd caliber like 303 that I don't do on the Dillon. There's always a need for a single stage press.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just started reloading. I first did 300 rounds of .45ACP, then moved on to .223. I'm using a Lee single stage. Eventually I'd like to get a progressive for the .45.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I mostly shoot rifles and I don't currently have room for another press so I am using my Rockchucker to load for all my pistols too.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I started reloading in the mid 70s on an Redding single stage. Moved up to a Lee1000, Hornady Projector, Dillon 650 and now I am back to a Redding T7. I guess it depends on how much time a fellow has and whether he likes reloading. I can honestly say I like my midnight reloading sessions as much as shooting.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Reloading's not my hobby. Shooting is. I reload on a 650.

If I hit the lottery, I'd by WWB by the pallet and leave the brass for the next guy:)

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Handgun ammo gets done on my 650, but I use my single-stage for rifle.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
So far at action pistol matches I've correctly called STOP on 4 squibs. 2 of them were from single stage presses and they both KNEW they checked every case. One guy argued that it could NOT be missing powder, since he checked each and every case. But....Oops, no powder.

The other was from a 550, and #4 was unnkown to me. I'm a believer in having a powder check station.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Single stage

Nothing wrong with loading on a single stage if you like it.

I shoot about 1,500 rounds per month. I hate to reload and would rather spend my time shooting. I usually take 200-300 rounds to the range for a practice session. I shoot IDPA about 3 matches per month, which takes another 100 - 120 rounds per match. I don't even own a single stage press, and for my rifle shooting, I still use a Dillon 550 used like a single stage press.
I get minute of angle groups with my AR-15 on my Dillon, so that suits my needs. If I were to get interested in bench rest shooting for rifle, then a solid single stage press would be good.

For reloading my IDPA loads (9mm), I use a Dillon 1050 which takes me roughly seven minutes to crank out 100 rounds. Did I mention I would rather shoot than reload?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts