1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out yesterday and shot my Sistema for the first time and had a difficult time getting the mags out of the gun. I had 8 mags and I had to pull out every G.I. type mag I used. What can I do to correct this problem? Do I want to sand off some of the finish on the mags? Is there some spring in the mag well that could be binding them too tight? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,395 Posts
First, make sure the trigger bow isn't what's causing the binding. True G.I. mags are usually of slightly smaller exterior dimensions than commercial, so I would first suspect the gun - maybe a dent in the frame? Checked under the grip panels?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Your grip pannels may be tightened down too much. Surprisingly (at least to me), that can make a huge difference in how the gun functions.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
157 Posts
The screws may be sticking in too far, the grip screw bushings may be protruding, the 3-leaf spring can be rubbing, and the trigger bow can be too small.

And your frame could be dented/bent/twisted.

Remove all the moveable parts, get in with a sharp medium-cut file and check/flie flush the grip screw bushings, then take a stainless mag and coat it with Dykem. See where the binding occurs, and go after the frame with crocus cloth on a file or dowel.

Once the frame is releasing the mags, then install the parts one at a time to see if they also cause problems.

[This message has been edited by Patrick Sweeney (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
417 Posts
You might want to inspect the mags to see if there is any scuffing or scratching on them. If so, that should give you a clue where to start looking.

One remote possibility is a design in the mags. I have an old GI mag that has a raised dimple on the front radius. It doesn't appear to be a flaw, but was put there during fabrication. It fits and works fine in my M70, but won't in my Systema.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Try some different mags too. I have a new Caspian cast 1911 frame that will gladly accept my Wilson mags and the CMC Power mags and Metalform, but 2 out of 3 Shooting Star mags are way too tight. (this occurs on the bare frame with all parts removed) Those same Shooting Stars fit fine in my single stack STI.

Tight tolerances?...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Two things.. One.. I've heard someone mention
that GI mags are a tight fit in any M1927. I can verify that in that I bought a stock numbered mag in the paper and it is a snug fit in my M1927.

Second. One of the two 1927s I just bought from JLD has been slightly dented on the lower part of the frame where the mag well starts. It's EVER so slight. Most of my mags fit fine but my .22 conversion mag will not fit. Looks like when it was refinished some arsenal worker got a little to happy with the torque on his bench vise and ever so slightly dented the frame. I took out my calipers and it's like a few thousandth out in the middle from each end. I'm mulling over how to either expand it out or just file it slightly and then have the mag well beveled.

It'd be interesting to know if yours is bent also .... then we might could say that the same dope worked on our guns in Argentina!

Tony G.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts