1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i bought this thing and i liked the looks of it. so since they sold the commander 1991a1 i had on layaway i bought it. well i went to shoot it and it has been reliable ( if i can get the first round to feed. it pops up out of the ejection port some times when i am chambering the first round. i think this is the magazine though...) so i shoot a few rounds through it and it is hard as hell to print a good group even at 7-10 yards. at 25 yards there was no group.
i know this is a 60 year old weapon, but i guess i was expecting better because of the "old colts are better than the new stuff".
i was expecting to have a shooter, but to have it be a good shooter i am going to have to get a new barrel. i can get one for a good price from waldopepper on this forum, and since he is going (maybe) to do that then i will have him do the other stuff as well( sights, bevel mag well, reliability, etc...)
so if i dont end up selling or trading it its going to cost me anyhow to get it where i want it to be.
oh well...
another lesson learned the hard way.
k.s.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
The magazines they typically ship with those guns are crap. Toss it and try some decent ones. Regarding accuracy, it won't be a match gun because it was purposely made to GI specs, meaning a helluva lot looser than any of the current guns. If you want to tighten the groups, as long as the barrel is in decent shape (is the rifling nice and sharp?) just have a tighter bushing and a NM link installed.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I agree with DSK, now DSK try not to react to the next line.

Another thing you can do if it is extremly loose is throw in a full length guide rod. It tightens things up and provides a rail for the gun to ride on. (DSK, if I remember right you dont like guide rods, but I do)
Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
Gotta...react...can't...help it...

...guide rods are just a waste of money, IMHO, but then again you're talking to somebody who doesn't mind shooting with GI issue sights either.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
Now Ty, if you were REALLY a true smartass you would have made some cute comment about how I was bouncing shots off the target carrier with my GI-sighted Colt last Sunday.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got my Sistema in the mail today.I am very pleased with it's overall appearance but the magazine will not feed anything if fully loaded.The spring compresses and stays stuck.It feeds fine with 5 or fewer rounds in it but will be replaced with Wilsons before any live testing.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
Like I said, they ship crappy magazines with those guns.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Now DSK-
I wasnt going to mention that, but since you brought it up I am happy to report that I got the frags out of my ass the following night! Next time you and I go shooting I might bring my Kevlar pants

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up a Sistema Colt about two weeks ago. This one is kinda interesting as it has the ORIGINAL factory finish ( about 90+% of the old blue black) showing only holster wear. This weapon is tight (for a GI), great bore, and shoots about the same as my LW commander (which is good!). All the markings and corners are deep and clear, with no evidence of refinifshing and the guy I bought it from said he has had it for about 10 years. He said the original mag was damaged, so he gave me a Colt made replacement. All in all the gun is hard to beat for $275. Now if I could just find a nice set of full checkered GI grips!!!
Montana

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Regarding magazine spring problems, I put a Wolff extra-power spring in it as soon as I got it......runs perfectly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Kshaft,
Don't be discouraged. I bought one and it shot crappy too. Didn't even try to use the mag that came with it as it had a cracked feed lip. Replaced the sights and fire control componants and had it blued. It's my IDPA gun now and shoots better than I do. First test group at 25yds with the new set up went into three inches offhand.

I've since bought two more. One to build up for the wife. I'll probably by more for stockpiling.

TOny G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where is the cheapest place to purchase these?

I want one and the wife only lets me get a little cash.

I seen um on that cruffler site but they come in 3 different conditions.

Is it worth it to get the grade 1 or will the grade 3 work just as well?

thanks

------------------
Be Safe and Have fun!

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
dsk said:
Gotta...react...can't...help it...

...guide rods are just a waste of money, IMHO, but then again you're talking to somebody who doesn't mind shooting with GI issue sights either.
I can tell the "DSK" is a young man!!!!!!!!!! It is not that we "don't like to shoot the GI sights" WE can't see them!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Argies out of the factory have a bit better tolerances than a typical GI of the same era. Better metal used as well. They have
been comming in batches since the mid 1980's. Those came in
with 85% or better original finish. If you want a mint one, check the auction boards, they pop up from time to time $75 to $100
more than the current imports.

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts