1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know, but it seems like a lot of folks want to make a purse out of a sow's ear, i.e., modifying their Sistemas. Call me cranky, but I just don't see the sense in altering an authentic period, military piece. Why not go buy a new (or used) slide & frame and altering it to your heart's content? Leave the dwindling number of the stock pieces for those of us who will leave them alone (at least externally), allowing ourselves to enter our golden years drooling over our Plain Jane military/police .45s.

·
Administrator
72,074 Posts
So many times before on this forum, I have counseled against customizing older 1911s like the Sistema because their heat-treating isn't up to modern standards. In other words, it's a waste to tighten them up because they will shoot loose a helluva lot faster due to their comparatively softer steel.

In the end though, it's the owner's gun. I say go ahead and customize that Sistema just as long as they leave genuine pre-war Colts alone. But I will say that ten years ago I customized a Series 80 Colt and now badly wish I had left it stock.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is directed, atleast in part to me, so here's my look on things.

One thing I have learned in my mere 32 years is that it is foolish to waste relatively large amounts of my hard-earned money on projects/hobbies that I am trying out for the first time.

I could have easily written a check for a $1000, $1500 super-duper, reliable 1911. That way, none of this discussion would have to take place. But, I didn't. When I try something out for the first time I like to start with the basics and work my way up.

That way I gain an appreciation and knowledge of the object that I am working with.

As far as the Sistema...it was a chance that I did not know exsisted to be able to purchase a true 1911 using only my C&R license at a relatively inexpensive price. If some feel that I may be tinkering with a "piece of history" relax, I just ordered 2 more Sistemas which will go into my safe along side untouched Mausers, Moisens, AKs, ARs, etc. Feel better now?

Sorry, but this subject just hits a nerve for me. Which is worse? Buying a $1000 1911 and posting newbie questions, which some will regard as someone who has no appreciation or understanding of the 1911 or buying a $300 surplus example and learning the ropes with it?

For the record, because of my brief experience with this Sistema, I will undoubtably be purchasing another 1911 in the near future. And as far as I'm concerned my Sistema would probably be much happier knowing it caused that than it would be being "preserved" and not used in any manner.

Sistema hijacking?! Come on now.

[This message has been edited by T_Smith (edited 10-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by T_Smith (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...LOL...It may come as a surprise to you, but there are a "few" other folks passing through here on a regular basis...No one is "picking" on anyone here...They don't have the time or the inclination...Most of us are really concerned with the "new folks" having an enjoyable experience and simply try to help those that truly want it and ignore those that already "know it all"...As for what everyone does with their pistols...Do whatever you want to do with them...I think DSK made a remark about it leaving the older Colts' for the rest of us to play with...
If you'll hang around and get to know a few of the folks here you'll be able to save yerself all kinds of trouble, if that's of "interest" to ya'...If not....Then no one will mind hearing the stories...We like to "laugh" too...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
gyp_c,

I have to agree with you.
Yesterday was not exactly a great day and I guess I just needed to vent a litttle. LOL!

Anyway, you guys have been nothing but helpful for me in learning the ropes of the 1911 and I appreciate it.

Have a good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts