1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was threatened with divorce for spending the whole week end looking for new grip panels for my stainless Springfield. It seems when I find something that I think I want, there is no picture of it. I want to replace my checkered factory coco bolos with something dark / black (I think). Anyone know what are some good sites? Also can't decide on smooth or DD checkered? I am becoming brain dead and what is a divorced brain dead guy going to do? Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks
Charlie B.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Charles,

I just purchased a beautiful pair of Black Carbon Fiber D/D Checkered grips for my Officers Model. They are made by a company called "Carbon Creations" and can be purchased through Brownells. The carbon fiber cloth is under a heavy gell coat and look 3D. In fact the Brownells catalog has quite a few pair of dark grips from wood to black pearl. Giv'em a look see.

MadDog

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
Richard Heinie sells AFS Slim-Tech stocks in checkered black Micarta. These come with propietary screws and bushings. www.heinie.com

Brownells sells a dizzying array of 1911 stocks. They offer stocks by Ahrends in ebony in a number of different styles (checkered, double-diamond, etc.). Brownells also sells Micarta stocks from Navidrex, both in normal thickness and a new "slim" model. www.brownells.com

Noted pistolsmith Don Williams has a site that offers various stocks for sale. www.pickagrip.com

Free advice (fully refundable if you don't like it); If she threatens you with divorce, take her up on it. Call her bluff.

Rosco

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I couldnt recomend Don Williams at pickagrip high enough. Great guy to deal with, and you get the grips you see. To me, getting the exact grips pictured is worth alot.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Not divorced yet but wait till she sees me on here again with all of my new sites

Charlie B.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You want black and tough , go with navidrex micarta grips , toughest things this side of the pecos river . I loved mine they just refuse to wear or show signs of abuse .

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, I'm on the other side of the Pecos river from JAFO216 and the toughest grips THIS side (west) are MD Labs GunGrips. They are made from a proprietary composite.
You can see photos and get more information on them here: http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000070.html http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000102.html http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000094.html http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000080.html

HTH

PS Not to brag or anything, but our grips our tougher than those grips on the other side of the river too.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey, I've got some dark/black rubber grips I took off my Kimber SLE, I'd be happy to trade them for your coco bolo.

They are smooth rubber, and not used at all.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If tough and black is what you want, i must second Striders post.

Ive come to the point in my life that good ole wood will do, as it will last my lifetime.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Strider , I had never saw those before , thanks for posting the sites . Look good .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many thanks to Rosco, RMLamey, ArmySon.

I was looking for a pair of grips for my
two-toned Ed Brown Class A Commander with
Maxi-Well.I checked pickagrip that you gentlemen have mentioned and found exactly
what I wanted.Spegel's(!) flat base in king wood.I also ordered Spegel's cocobolo for my
1991SS Commander.You never know when will be the next chance to get Spegel.
The reason why I was looking for the grips
in the first place was because the medallion on EB got loose and started to rotate after shooting 2,000rds. This seems to happen to me with +medallion left pannel. It happened
with my SV Infinity too. May be I'm holding the grips too tight.
Anyway, thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts