1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for an inexpensive 7.62 rifle that is very reliable. Right now im looking at either a romanian SKS or an SAR1 AK.

Any of you guys our there own either one or both?
how tough is it to make the clip detachable on the SKS?

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I have 2 SKS rifles and 1 Mak 90. They are reliable cheap and fun to shoot.Detachable mags on the SKS are slow to reload but it doesn't bother me

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
Both are very similar in their semi-automatic configuration. The AK will attract more attention and admiration from fellow gun owners, but it will also be a heck of a lot harder to carry around in the great outdoors (camping, hunting, etc.). I can guarantee the "evil"-looking AK will attract a lot of negative attention from non-gun people you may encounter, whereas the SKS looks more like a conventional rifle and may cause less of a stir.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd do the AK for all of the facts stated above.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I just sold my SKS in favor of a Winchester 94 .44 Magnum. The SKS was alright, but I found it to be cumbersome and the balance was not comfortable. AK's are AK's; what can one say about them, really?

I still have my Russian-made Mosin Nagant rifle, though, and I'll keep that.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
P.S. Mosin Nagant M91/59 carbines and M44 carbines can be had for $59 at Big 5 on sale. Russian made ones might cost a little more, though. I got lucky; mine is a M91/59 in mint condition and the action and barrel were made in 1932. (M91/59's are rifles cut-down and fitted with carbine stocks in the early 1960's.)

------------------

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I think it greatly depends on how hung up you are on the magazine capacity and/or price.

If you want a 30 round magazine, then get the AK. An SKS is super reliable until you start using those detachable mags. They will let you down right when you need them to work. Certain Chinese 20 round fixed mags work perfectly but they all don't function perfectly and can be a pain to fit to the gun. After spending quite a bit of money and time, I've come to the conclusion that except for maybe a stock change, it's best to avoid any other changes.

Accuracy on both guns is normally about the same although my feeling is that the SKS is more likely to shoot better. I've found a couple that will shoot 2 MOA and have never been able to find an AK that will do that good.

My 0.02 anyway...

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have heard too that some SKS's exhibit better accuracy than AK's.
I'll second Kevan's choice here. I'd rather have a Win' 94 or a Marlin 336 in .357, .44 or even 30-30.

It's interesting that there was a flurry of media attention in the U.K. awhile back over the "cowboy guns". Seems someone noticed that they were still potentially very effective and made alot of noise about them being another "deadly loophole". Of course here in the USA the "cowboy guns" are far less likely to get unwarranted attention. At the moment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I can see why you would rather have the winchester but the 44 mag a rifle round is a sorry comedown from 7.62. Not even in the same league. Even the 30-30 is far superior ballistically.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
.44 mag a sorry comedown? ooooh.

Against any two-legged (or four-legged with teeth and claws for that matter) critter at less than 150 yds I'd take a .44 carbine loaded with Winchester 250-grain Nosler Partitions - or even 300-grain castcore Federals (let alone Garretts) over any 7.62x39. Ditto; a .30-30 loaded with Federal 170-grain Nosler Partitions.

If someone(s) were throwing lead rocks at me/family, at home, from further than that, I would opt for a certain scoped bolt-action - and they are likely to lose any part of their anatomy showing itself from behind cover for more than a few seconds

And a correction; It is the 1894 Marlin that is chambered for the .44/.357. The 336 is the .30-30.

[This message has been edited by LAK (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
AK = Anti-Gun Hating, Un-Politically Correct & Evil Looking. MUHAHAHAHA what else could you ask for?

I dont know about the sks but the ak is extremely durable, justs keeps on chugging along regardless of the abuse it takes and it is fairly accurate.

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The bottom two are Romanian. So far very reliable, sufficient quality, and medium finish. Accuracy is not the realm of the AK so I won't go there. Lets just say 300 yards away is not a safe place to be if I am mad at you and carrying one!

I would recommend the SAR1 AK variant bbecause of cheap mags, ammo and side plate scope mount.

I have owned several SKS's as well and agree with Walkingpoint on his observations. An SKS, as is, will suffice for many things. On the merits an unappreciated, underpriced weapon.

Solution = GET BOTH!!!!!!!!

Top to bottom is;

7.62x39 CLAYCO AKS (very early Norinco)
5.45x39 SAR2 US made K-Var Stock set, KOBRA dotsight, US amde FAL-type grip, MAGWING mag release.
5.56x45 SAR3 unfired NIB

postban out

[This message has been edited by postban (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Gun dog---Actually, at distances up to 100 yards, the .44 Magnum fired from a rifle is more powerful. The 7.62X39 is similar ballistically to the 30-30, but the 30-30 is not the most powerful of caliber .30 cartridges, either.

As I plan on hunting boar and deer and at fairly close range in thick forest, the .44 Magnum is a natural choice. It also compliments my .44 Magnum Single Action Colt clone nicely, so I'll have a compatable-caliber sidearm. There are far more cartridge choices in .44 Magnum than in 7.62X39. You will also find you cannot hunt with an SKS, as the mag limit for a semi-auto is 5.

As far as choosing between a .44 Magnum and a 7.62X39, it needs to be stated that each is well-suited for whatit was intended for. However, it should also be stated that there are lots of folks shot with 7.62X39 who are around to tell the tale, while the same might not be said for people shot with a .44 Magnum (though the number of people shot with the .44 Magnum is far, far less than the 7.62X39.) But, there is one thing stated in "Cartridges of the World" and that is that the old .44-40 cartridge in the Winchester '73 killed more North American game animals and more people in North America than any other single cartridge, and the .44-40 came close to matching the velocity of the .44 Magnum.

As far as my experiences with the 7.62X39, it was fun but I grew weary of it after a few years. I'm a commited big-bore fan now. But, the 7.62X54 that I still have will outshine the 7.62X39 anyway, so I have all my bases covered.

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts