1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SKS outshoots AR!!

Well...sorta kinda but not really. I participated in a rifle workshop last week. There were around 6 of us armed with some ARs and a couple of M1A's (one of them was a scout model with folding bipod and a scope). Then there was me armed with my 1957 Romanian SKS, iron sights, and a prayer.

We began by sighting in at close range, 25 yards. From there we moved onto some snap shooting from low ready, some dismounts from shoulder, and onto a "sniper" round. During this sniper stage the targets (19 - 8" steel plates) were set in a line with the closest target at around 10 yards the furthest placed at around 80. We were directed to engage the closest target and then the next and so on until we finished the scenario or missed. A shooter was "out" the first time he missed a target or hit them out of order. We would have 2 minutes to complete the event. I downed five before I missed. The fellow that followed me leveled off with his AR and blew away four targets before missing his fifth shot. Another participant looked like his scoped M1A was going to take the stage before he accidently skipped a target in the sequence and was out. None of us completed the round.

The final stage of the day was a multiple target scenario requiring us to shoot and load from cover. I don't remember how many targets there were. It was sort of a blur. I think it was in the neighborhood of 15-19 targets. There were two barricades from which we could engage a mix of paper and steel, though not all of the targets could be seen from any one spot. This forced us to move. Shooters were kept out of the area prior to their turn so we had no opportunity to see the scenario beforehand. What a rush!

I wish I could brag and say that I took top honors for the day. But I cannot. My "score" rested solidly in the middle of the line-up. I learned a lot; however. I became better acquainted with my rifle. I discovered which sight picture worked best for my SKS. I saw what she can do and I saw in graphic detail that no matter how good or how expensive or tricked out a rifle is, it still faulters when the man behind the trigger does not do his job. I went into that workshop clutching my little rifle and a load of Wolf Ammo wondering if I would be terribly outgunned. As it turns out -- skill levelled the field. Skill saved some of us from embarrassment and others from getting too cocky.

Most important of all ---- I had BIG FUN!! What a fantastic way to spend my Sunday morning. Battle rifles :rock: !!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Amadeus -

Where was this rifle class? And when's the next one?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The class was conducted by TJ Johnston (www.allsafedefense.com).

I'm not sure when he's planning the next one. It's every few months though and he has classes that cover all of the shooting disciplines.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Cool! I've met TJ a couple of times, and mean to take several of his courses when funds permit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tcdrennen:

TJ's a great guy. A solid instructor who puts everything in very simple terms. He has a style about him that is completely unpretentious. He makes the sport mentally and emotionally accessible. It's an approach I have tried to emulate with my students. As soon as your funds permit, I recommend looking into one of his many classes. Maybe we'll even run into one another.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Amadeus - I think we may have run into each other; do you shoot at Prado (IDPA), Raahauge's (Steel Madness, LESA) or West End (Action Pistol, 3-Gun)?

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I imagine it would take a course of fire of greater than 10 rounds before the limitation of the SKS would start to show. I have an SKS which is pretty darn accurate (will ring a 6" steel gong at 200 yards when I do my part), so I certainly believe they can hold their own for awhile.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RE: the sks' capacity. It did fine even with strings re: 3 reloads.

TC: I have shot at Prado but never in any of their IDPA/IPSC events. As for Raahauge's & West End. Never been to West End. Is it a nice facility?

I stopped by Raahauges a couple of weeks ago to watch the monthly IPSC shoot, but I did not lay down any rounds. It was my first time there. Not sure how I managed to avoid going there befoer. Seems like a great club. Huge. If one can get over the smell of Norco -- you know what I mean -- then it's a fantastic location.

We may have crossed paths, but I am fairly certain I have never had the pleasure of meeting you since I have yet to get into the "action shooting" competitions.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ah well - Do come out to Prado IDPA (1st & 3rd Saturdays, 9AM) - good folks and much fun; 8 stages. We'll be restarting practical shotgun side matches on 1st Saturdays in January, I'm told - 2 stages, come early (8:30AM)

Raahuage's: I've only done the LESA 2 and/or 3 gun match once, but am a regular at Steel Madness (1st-3rd-5th Sundays 9AM, 5 or 6 stages of USPSA style, all reactive steel shooting - bring lots of ammo and your ten or more round mags!)

This Sunday is Annual Christmas Potluck at Steel Madness - bring food and/or beverage (no alcohol, if I need to say that! :hrm: ) and your practical shotgun and some 9mm (if you have any) for some extra surprise fun.

I'm a member at West End Gun Club and it's great: Action Pistol (2-gun) 2ns Saturday, 3-gun 4th Saturday, 600 yard high power rifle, skeet/clays/trap, silhouette, junior program, Steel Challenge, USPSA; a 100 yard Public Range open Fri-Sat-Sun; member access 24/7/365 to the facility, RV camping area, potable water on site... too much to detail, check out the web site and come by some weekend for one of the matches and take a look around.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i have a yugo SKS and its very reliable (i haven't cleaned it for a year and 1000 rds) anyways it shoots good but I would have to think reloading the sks 2 times would be a disadvantage compared to the AR guys who can rattle off 30rds??

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I little slower. But no significantly. Again -- some practice could result in my ability to perform swift reloads.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
SKS, I used to have a Chinese, then I sold it to get a Maddi ARM, but I am getting SO close to getting another one. If I do, then I will pick up one of those nifty 20 round fixed chinese for it, if it dosnt break any laws, which I dont think it would,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LKBlair:

The Chinese SKS seems to be very popular. But allow me to recommend a Romanian. Fit and finish on mine is above Par for these rifles. It handles great and feels like a solid rifle with a lot of life left in it.

Just my preference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts