1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I ain,t never gonna slam my slide again. Searched it on forum,absorbed the truth.
Gonna put a drop of oil on her rails,wipe her ports, Lower the hammer, unload mags, tell her I'm sorry, and give her a good nights rest......:bawling:
Thanks fellas!
Tony

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, I pamper my SA 1911 milspec. Treat her like she's made of crystal. She sleeps in a pillowed case. I spend more time bathing her than I spend bathing myself. This will help you understand why I cringed when I handed her over to my uncle. (Name withheld in case he has an account here)

Uncle has a mid 80's Colt 1911 in the green parkerized finish (looks almost identical to the new SA GI edition, sans "GI" grips), and upon finding out he's a 1911 nut I clear mine and offer it to him for inspection. He does some fiddling, locks the slide back, wiggles the barrel, and hits the slide release, letting the slide slam forward. I wince, but I don't say anything, mainly because Uncle is a Navy CB and Nam vet, that and he was once issued a 1911, I figured he's earned the right to rough my baby up a little. Well, he does it again, and I winced again. Then I realized that JMB would turn over in his grave if he found out that a 1911 owner was concerned about an occasional roughing up of such a sturdy piece of hardware. So I relaxed, and on the way home stopped by the shop to buy her a present.

·
Registered
678 Posts
has bad has it is for the gun....the gun is made up of steel and aluminum parts very tough gun...it can handle it...there once was a time when people said slammin the mags in and tactical reloading was hard on the gun....im rough on my guns none have failed me...properly clean them lube them and let them sleep with u and they will work fine

·
Registered
130 Posts
When the slide slams home on a chambered round, the brass of the casing is softer than the steel of the pistol, so it provides a padded buffer. If the slide is allowed to slide home on an empty chamber it will be metal on metal, which can be bad. I don't profess to be an expert, in fact, I'm a newbie, this is just info regurgitated from 95% of the experts I talk to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.