1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people have used things like Mobil 1 as a lube for their pistols. But recently, I heard from a guy who said that he has used a Slick 50 treatment on his. Has anyone els ever heard of this?:scratch:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds kinda silly in light of the fact that Slick 50 has been exposed for the fraud that it is as an engine additive. If you're going to go the motor oil route might as well go Mobil 1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just wondering if anyone heard of it. I myself use CLP or Militec-1 and am quite happy.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I've heard of Slick 50. I recall it's a teflon based type additive for oil, something like Tuf-Oil (except Tuf-Oil actually did some large studies and found it improved the performance of the oil). Those additives were useful before the widespred adoption of synthetic oils, because standard oil is not really very good when it gets put under high stress and temp like a turbo engine or a motorcycle does. If you use syn oil in your car, you don't need any additives.

I don't think any auto oil product is as good as FP-10 or the Militec metal conditioner for a gun.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Some years ago I buyed the Slick 50 black/yellow spray can, very expensive, because by reading on it seemed very promising. I use it sometimes even now on door's hinges and locks, etc., because I like the penetrative properties of its film before drying, but I am less than happy with the antirust effect.
Regards, MAXM

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Why do folks keep asking about all this unique, bizarre, or miracle lubes. Just what is Slick 50 supposed to do for guns that is so special?

Just how is it that engine additives are supposed to make your gun work better. Many of the lubes are designed to work best when hot, very hot. The hammer, rails, etc. aren't anywhere near hot enough to utilize the supposed miracle aspects of engine oils.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts