1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have limited experience with a few Les Baer pistols and lots of random experience with the normal production 1911's.

If you were going to build that "once in a lifetime dream 1911", what frame and slide would you start with?

I know the Les Baer's will still be really tight and accurate thousands of rounds later so, I'm a little biased towards that choice. However, a lot of people swear by Caspian but, I have no personal experience with their frames and slides. How about Rock River or someone else?

What factors should I consider when choosing a frame and slide for my dream build? I'm not looking to "penny pinch" but, I also want good value for the money spent. I'm initially considering EGW for the build but, I'm open to other gunsmiths as well. My pistol target price range is in the $2500 to $3500 range for a Defensive 1911 single stack with all the bells and whistles as people say. ;)

Best Regards,
Sid

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Let your smith tell you -

If EGW then ask George what he suggests.

Otherwise recent manufacture is better than older - some people want a Colt at all costs, some people want a custom serial number, some people want a material that is hard to find - ultimately it will all come down to the quality of the maker so ask the maker what fits his style best.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You mentioned that Bear's seem to stay tight longer. THat is more of a matter of how it it is fit than the actual frame and slide itself. Go with Caspian and you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I'd imagine the professional pistolsmiths will be best positioned to answer this question just by the virtue of being exposed to multiple product samples from different manufacturers.

Maybe Mrs. Rogers, Rodgers or Harrison, who all visit these boards, will chime in.

I am in somewhat similar position researching components for an upcoming custom build except that:
- I've long determined who is going to build mine and I consulted with my builder regarding his preferences
- I only need a slide.

SVI, Baer or Wilson.

P.S. Here is a link with similar discussion http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5544

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
for a once-in-a-lifetime build find a pre-'70 Colt with slanted serrations.
In my opinion those are the nicest base guns ever made.

Have your 'smith weld up the slide/frame fit for the ultimate.

If you want truly oversize, forgings or barstock are still my fave. I like the new Wilson frames and the Briley frames. Both are nicely done. The Briley has a more traditional contour which may appeal to you.

Keep in mind that Bar, RRA and most Caspians have a severely high cut grip strap that many traditionalists find offensive.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Once in a lifetime?

For me, no question... Colt.

Which one? I'd probably choose a 60's vintage Government. In some respects, they can be troublesome. Frame/slide fits are hit and miss, but welding and recutting make bad things good in this area. Lines, flats, and especially the areas around the guard will likely need attention. All that work, and all you really have is a frame and slide set, nicely fit and ready to build on.

Unlike anything else, though - when you're done with your dream build, it has those exquisite vintage Colt rollmarks. Something you'll never regret letting yourself get talked into :cool:

Have fun with the project!

·
Registered
923 Posts
uhh ohhhh

Uh, I don't think calling them Mrs. Rogers, Rodgers or Harrison is going to get them to chime in....:D:D:D

re: Baer frames and slides

I think Brownells has a sale going on, on Baer frames and slide combinations (already fit) due to them being discontinued.... otherwise buy direct from Baer.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Uh, I don't think calling them Mrs. Rogers, Rodgers or Harrison is going to get them to chime in....:D:D:D
hooks, you got me here...Usually I go back and change my grammar or syntax errors; after all, English is my second language. I guess, in this case I have to leave it for posterity...

After all, it is not of Mrs. YVK (or Mr.'s YVK? or Mr.YVK's?) nature to hide own mistakes:)..

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
it ain't over.....

My first (LOL) "once in a lifetime" 1911 was built using an ordered Caspian frame with custom serial number ("GRAY AREA 1") and Caspian slide.
It was built by my friend and myself (my friend is an accomplished friend).

My next will be built on an ordered Caspian frame with custom serial number and Caspian slide.

My choice of professional to do my work (for the next go-arounds) will be Mr. Smith and the fine crew at www.egw-guns.com

I am currently actively selling stuff (and trying to sell more!) to finance these projects (but first I got this 9x19 SA that needs to visit EGW....and I already own a new Caspian slide....and and and....)

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
"Keep in mind that Bar, RRA and most Caspians have a severely high cut grip strap that many traditionalists find offensive."

Caspian offers a CLASSIC receiver for those who want a frame that mimicks the pre-war Colts .

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Baer is what I'd reccomend. Caspian frames are good, but they're cast whereas Baer's are forged.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Once in a lifetime?

For me, no question... Colt.

Which one? I'd probably choose a 60's vintage Government. In some respects, they can be troublesome. Frame/slide fits are hit and miss, but welding and recutting make bad things good in this area. Lines, flats, and especially the areas around the guard will likely need attention. All that work, and all you really have is a frame and slide set, nicely fit and ready to build on.

Unlike anything else, though - when you're done with your dream build, it has those exquisite vintage Colt rollmarks. Something you'll never regret letting yourself get talked into :cool:

Have fun with the project!
+10000

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Aside from the Colt's being a great frame, I can't tell you how many times I get customers who MUST have a Colt frame. I think there is some feeling that if it's not a Colt it's a copy going on. I build a lots of Caspians which I feel offers the widest choice in options in a quality product. Greg

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
"Keep in mind that Bar, RRA and most Caspians have a severely high cut grip strap that many traditionalists find offensive."

Caspian offers a CLASSIC receiver for those who want a frame that mimicks the pre-war Colts .
Hi Gary,
I said "most" :)

A.L

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Once in a lifetime build

STI makes good quality frames and slides and they offer their frames
as single stack, or the 2011, which is a double stack magazine. The frame
width is still very comfortable to the hand with their double stack.

I am currtently building a 2011, .40 S&W. I have the gun built with the exception of the Bar Sto Barrel, which will ship the end of February.

When you buy an STI 2011 frame, the polymer grip is already checkered, has a wide/flared magwell, and it comes with the trigger and magazine catch.
All other 1911 parts will interchange. I purchased an STI beavertail grip safety, which allows the shooter to mount the gun higher and closer to the
bore axis, which helps in recoil control. The STI mags come as carry mags or extended for extra capacity. I believe the carry mags hold 16 +!, while the
140mm hold up to four rounds more depending on the mag base pad.

I purchased the long, ramped model, which will look like the STI Edge pistol once completed. You can go to Brazosguns.com and look at STI products.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts