1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Standard Manufacuring case colored pistol and like the aesthetics very much. Decent shooter as well. Problem is I cant get a good purchase on the rear cocking serrations. There are none up front. There seems to be some kind of overall coatong on this pistol that makes it slippery.
Is there anything that can be done about this? Forget sending it in for inspection, the customer service is a joke over there. Thanks Forum.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Wood

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a Standard Manufacuring case colored pistol and like the aesthetics very much. Decent shooter as well. Problem is I cant get a good purchase on the rear cocking serrations. There are none up front. There seems to be some kind of overall coatong on this pistol that makes it slippery.
Is there anything that can be done about this? Forget senfiding it in for inspection, the customer service is a joke over there. Thanks Forum.
View attachment 651245
View attachment 651246
What you are experincing is real bone and charcoal case hardening is clear coated with lacquer,it could be stripped off or with time and use comes off all on it's own.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you are experincing is real bone and charcoal case hardening is clear coated with lacquer,it could be stripped off or with time and use comes off all on it's own.
A large factor in selecting this pistol was the authentic case coloring process they use. Old school. The lacquer makes sense. If it does wear off, is the finish in jeopardy you think?
I have a pistol on order that has case coloring on the frame only. Wonder if it has a laquer finish as well…….Turnbull I think.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear cocking serrations do not seem cut to provide optimal purchase. I can’t recall seeing such serrations w/o a sharper cut to grab on to - especially with wet or sweaty hands.
Do you have one as well? Makes me leave this one in the safe on range days. Racking can be done, but not as smartly as on others in the line up. A shame really…..

·
Registered
263 Posts
A large factor in selecting this pistol was the authentic case coloring process they use. Old school. The lacquer makes sense. If it does wear off, is the finish in jeopardy you think?
I have a pistol on order that has case coloring on the frame only. Wonder if it has a laquer finish as well…….Turnbull I think.
"If it does wear off, is the finish in jeopardy you think?"
No it just doesn't have the wet gloss look to it, it takes on a more matte look.
C/B case hardening is about 2 to 3 mils of surface hardening.

I have a 1851 Navy cartridge conversion pistol that I had Turnbull do back 10 years ago and I shoot nothing but black powder out of it, it looks as beautiful today as it did when I received it as what ever lacquer he used has held up well.

Case coloring is a whole different animal,it is created by a chemical process and doesn't have the depth and beauty of bone and charcoal packed case hardening and as a result looses it color rather quickly in some cases. It just doesn't have the same shade of color mostly grays purples and brown and more of a matte look.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
If it were mine I would fit a square bottom firing pin stop and try a 10-12 pound recoil spring. Cock the hammer first. Then rack the slide. If the gun is happy, and you can live with the solution, you are done.

I don’t see an easy way to get what you want without making the serrations on the slide more aggressive which would mean a complete refinish.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Last thought. If it is largely a range gun, try loading up light loads like for bullseye competition. Then spring the gun very light.

Or work on grip strength. I am approaching 70. I shoot with a fellow who is 38. Strong guy too. He struggles to rack most of my 1911’s as he shoots a 9mm Glock.

best wishes

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Try something like this:

Tennis players and bull riders use them to improve their grip strength. And a stronger grip will help with your pistol handling and accuracy (y)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last thought. If it is largely a range gun, try loading up light loads like for bullseye competition. Then spring the gun very light.

Or work on grip strength. I am approaching 70. I shoot with a fellow who is 38. Strong guy too. He struggles to rack most of my 1911’s as he shoots a 9mm Glock.

best wishes
I can rack it fine as long as I concentrate on it. In truth, its only the first round that is a problem. She cycles fine and follow up mags do thier thing.
I posted here to see if there was a fix. Adding a grip enhancer is not really to my liking, but thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try something like this:

Tennis players and bull riders use them to improve their grip strength. And a stronger grip will help with your pistol handling and accuracy (y)
Lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I cut ladder rung/skateboard tape into skinny strips to infill the serrations on some of my pistols that I don't want the Arachnid tape on. It's functional, does no harm, easy to take off or replace, & looks OK if you take your time.
Here's a not so neat but functional P365 I did

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cut ladder rung/skateboard tape into skinny strips to infill the serrations on some of my pistols that I don't want the Arachnid tape on. It's functional, does no harm, easy to take off or replace, & looks OK if you take your time.
Here's a not so neat but functional P365 I did
This is will give a try. I’ll fit it up and post pics for ya

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Do you have one as well? Makes me leave this one in the safe on range days. Racking can be done, but not as smartly as on others in the line up. A shame really…..
I don’t have one - if I had been interested probably would have passed seeing those shallow/soft serrations. I’m a DW fan and highly recommend them. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts