1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a Standard Manufacuring case colored pistol and like the aesthetics very much. Decent shooter as well. Problem is I cant get a good purchase on the rear cocking serrations. There are none up front. There seems to be some kind of overall coatong on this pistol that makes it slippery.
Is there anything that can be done about this? Forget senfiding it in for inspection, the customer service is a joke over there. Thanks Forum.
View attachment 651245
View attachment 651246
What you are experincing is real bone and charcoal case hardening is clear coated with lacquer,it could be stripped off or with time and use comes off all on it's own.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A large factor in selecting this pistol was the authentic case coloring process they use. Old school. The lacquer makes sense. If it does wear off, is the finish in jeopardy you think?
I have a pistol on order that has case coloring on the frame only. Wonder if it has a laquer finish as well…….Turnbull I think.
"If it does wear off, is the finish in jeopardy you think?"
No it just doesn't have the wet gloss look to it, it takes on a more matte look.
C/B case hardening is about 2 to 3 mils of surface hardening.

I have a 1851 Navy cartridge conversion pistol that I had Turnbull do back 10 years ago and I shoot nothing but black powder out of it, it looks as beautiful today as it did when I received it as what ever lacquer he used has held up well.

Case coloring is a whole different animal,it is created by a chemical process and doesn't have the depth and beauty of bone and charcoal packed case hardening and as a result looses it color rather quickly in some cases. It just doesn't have the same shade of color mostly grays purples and brown and more of a matte look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts