1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, if it were not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all.

I got my Champion back from SA a week and half ago, and the pistol was working great. I had put about 300 rounds through it with no problems at all (except 2 FTF's caused by Shok-Buff). I was on top of the world.

And then I went to the range today. I put in a full magazine and fired it. I started to load the second mag in and noticed what I thought was a bad scratch on the slide. On closer examination, it was a huge crack that went 1/3 of the way around the slide, just behind the spring tunnel.

Thank goodness I saw it before I fired any more rounds, I would have looked pretty bad with the back half of the slide stuck in my forehead.

Sent it back to SA this afternoon. Here are some pictures.

[This message has been edited by Double Tap (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow, I saw a slide posted not too long ago that was broken almost in the same place yours cracked.

That stinks, right after getting it back,,,,From whay I've seen online, I bet Springfield will treat you right.

Well, I'm about to have me first experience with Kimber,,,,after doing some safety function tests on my Kimber,,,,it looks like I've got a problem with mine that is going to require a trip back to Yonkers.

Good luck,,,,,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by h4444:
Well, I'm about to have me first experience with Kimber,,,,after doing some safety function tests on my Kimber,,,,it looks like I've got a problem with mine that is going to require a trip back to Yonkers.

Good luck,,,,,
I read your post on your Kimber's hammer falling while out of battery, sorry to hear it.

I wish I could be optimistic about SA, but I am nearing the end of my patience. Go read my post on this forum about my first experience with them. http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000477.html

[This message has been edited by Double Tap (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wow, i wrote off the "first" slide crack photo a few months back as a fluke..... BUt now it may seem that Springfeild has some issues to deal with.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Billy Ray:
What a bummer. I hope SA does you right.

Billy Ray
At this point and time, I'm actually a little concerned that there may be bigger problems with SA. I can't imagine a company with SA's reputation putting out a gun with this many problems.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but I'm also considering whether I should try to get my money back.

I'll have to see what happens.

------------------
Any day above ground is a good day!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's similar to the lemons Ford or Chevy put out every once in a while. It will happen on an assembly line with no time to testfire other than proofing. That's why you see many 1911 owners ending up in the world of handbuilt customs. If I were you I'd try to get Springfield to replace the gun and see what happens.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by PK:
It's similar to the lemons Ford or Chevy put out every once in a while. It will happen on an assembly line with no time to testfire other than proofing. That's why you see many 1911 owners ending up in the world of handbuilt customs.
Hello PK,

I agree with you that it can happen, assembly lines are the worst way to make truly quality products.

The problem I have with what I'm going through is that I happen to have first hand experience with alot of different pistol. I've owned and shot Glocks, Sigs, Walther, Colt, Kahr, Charter Arms, Rugers, Taurus... As I'm certain that alot of people have on this forum.

But I have never seen this kind of failure. This failure could have been dangerous. What if I hadn't looked down as I loaded the second mag in? If the slide had let go when I was in the middle of a 3 or 4 shot exercise and I had fired it, would I be writing this right now?

I remember when the US Armed forces changed over the the M9 from the 1911. The Special Forces started putting high-pressure NATO ammo through it and it resulted in slide cracks that injured a couple of people.

These are the thoughts that are going through my mind.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad nothing catastrophic happened! This is disheartening stuff. I have an unfired Champ stainless loaded V-10 at home in the vault. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should sell or trade while it's value is as high as it will ever be.

------------------
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it."
Justice Learned Hand

Sic Semper Tyranis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Double Tee-

Sure am glad you caught that when you did.

Out of curiosity, what sort of ammo had you been shooting? No ammo should cause that sort of failure, unless it was some sort of strange home-brew.

But, even then...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by RMLamey:
Wow, i wrote off the "first" slide crack photo a few months back as a fluke..... BUt now it may seem that Springfeild has some issues to deal with.
No Joke! I'll give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt after a single incident like this, but when you have a second incident, something oughta be done.

They definitely have some issues.

By the way, did y'all notice that the one a few months back was a stainless model, too?

------------------
Bulldawg's Firearms Page

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Pres in VA:
Double Tee-

Sure am glad you caught that when you did.

Out of curiosity, what sort of ammo had you been shooting? No ammo should cause that sort of failure, unless it was some sort of strange home-brew.

But, even then...
I had fired about 450 rounds of Winchester USA 230gr. FMJ's and UMC 230gr. FMJ's combined, with a small amount of Blackhills JHP's and SWC's before I sent it back the first time.

When it came back from SA, I fired another 300 rounds of Win. USA Hardball and S&B Hardball. I was just beginning to test factory JHP's. Have fired about a dozen Winchester SXT's 230gr. JHP's.

------------------

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Bulldawg:
By the way, did y'all notice that the one a few months back was a stainless model, too?
That's one of my concerns as well. I've owned pistols that were made of stainless steel before, but never had one crack.

------------------

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Double T....
Maybe it's time to get your money back from SA. First it was their two piece barrels that would come apart and now it's their stainless slides. Been shooting a 1991A1 for over 10 years and no problems whatsoever and it's still in one piece.
Not impressed with SA.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Double

It may be just how the picture looks on my screen, but is your slide "blued" or is it really silver, as in stainless? Since you are saying it is stainless I will take your word for it. From looking at the picture it looks like there is a sharp corner where the slide rails meet the bottom dust cover of the slide. Take a good look inside the slide and see if this is true. There should be a slight radius where the slide rails and the dust cover meet. A sharp corner can be a stress point, and coupled with an improper heat treatment cracking can result.

Let us know what Springfield tells you. I would like to expect they will take good care of you and replace your slide at the very least.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
975 Posts
OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not getting a Springfield for my first .45 now. Looks like Les Baer is going to get my business. I'll stick to CNCed American made parts.

themao

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Str8_Shot:
Double

It may be just how the picture looks on my screen, but is your slide "blued" or is it really silver, as in stainless? Since you are saying it is stainless I will take your word for it. From looking at the picture it looks like there is a sharp corner where the slide rails meet the bottom dust cover of the slide. Take a good look inside the slide and see if this is true. There should be a slight radius where the slide rails and the dust cover meet. A sharp corner can be a stress point, and coupled with an improper heat treatment cracking can result.

Str8_Shot
It is definitely SS. And you are correct, the transition from slide rail to dust cover is very sharp. The photo is kind of blurry, but you can see it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Double

From looking at the slide rail at the bottom of your latest picture I can't tell if there is a radius there of not. I'm afraid we will have to wait for the evaluation by the folks at Springfield.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
350 Posts
Str8_Shot,,,,

WWhhheewww,,,,I just pullet out my stainless V10 Ultra Compact just to give it a look,,,right in the same area on the outside/polished portion of the slide I saw the unthinkable,,,,or so I thought.

Could it be, my newest 1911 has a cracked slide,,,,,

Nope,,,,just a damn hair from my black lab.

What a relief. That would have been two 1911's in one week. My Kimber is going back to Yonkers tomorrow. I would have been left 1911less if both had to go back.

Doubletap,
Good luck with Springfield.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.