1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Springfield Loaded that has about 500 rounds through. It functioned perfectly until I cleaned it the first time...after about 200 rounds. After that the slide doesn't lock back when the mag is empty. After this I took it back apart, cleaned and lightly lubed it, but the problem is consistent.

Any ideas here? I'd hate to give up and send it back to Springfield!. Thanks for the input.

s

·
Registered
70 Posts
Take the slide off and barrel and recoil spring out. Insert a mag and see if the slide stop will push up without the slide on. Then insert a round and see if it does not move. Could be the follower in that mag is too low in the front, which means that you need to bend the spring so that the follower sits higher in the front. It could also mean that the tension detent on the slide stop is too tight. Does the Springfield have a detent hole in the slide stop for the slide release to sit in? Could be too deep. Try another mag, or try another slide stop from another 1911 if you have one.

Jess

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not locking

Could also be that the part of the stop that the follower pushes up on is broke. Sometimes it is hard to see it. That sounds like
the problem since it started all of a sudden.

C-Buff

·
Registered
937 Posts
Is it hard to get the mags out?

My SA mags were popping up over the slide stop, not only preventing it from holding the slide, but forcing me to pry out the magazines. The problem didn't happen for me until the 2nd trip to the range either.

I just changed magazines and no problem since.

Brian

·
Registered
407 Posts
If it's a 9mm most likely the tab which pushes the slide stop up is not hitting the slide release. you can either change mags. or bend the little tang out just a bit, till it hits it every time.

sno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian:

I think that my problem is similar to yours. Yesterdy I noticed that, although my 2 mags look identical, one occasionally doesn't allow the slide to lock back. Also...I have to pry out the mag when this happens.

A guy lent me a Wilson 47D mag and I was impressed. It was much easier to load and I put several mag-fulls through it and the slide locked back every time when empty. I still need to mess with the bad mad to understand the problem. It looks identical to the one that works better.

Everyone: Thanks for the input.

Sidnal

·
Registered
407 Posts
sidnal said:
Also...I have to pry out the mag when this happens.

Sidnal
What is happening is the tang that is susposed to hit the bottom of the slide stop is missing it and riding over it, causing you to have to pull the mag out and not lock the slide back.

take a small screwdriver and put it in between the tab and the rest of the follower and pry it out just a bit, then try it in your gun repeat till it locks back everytime.

Bob

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have (wifes gun) a Kimer Target II 9mm that has the same problem from time to time. Occasionaly the slide doesn't lock back with the factory mag and its hard to remove. Mec-Gar mag wont lock back at all. You guys are giving great advice. I am going to try the above suggestions. Thank you very much!
John

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've been down this road a few times myself.

In the majority of cases, the problem was fixed by the introduction of an aftermarket Wolff extra-power mag spring.

I find that I've had more difficulty with Chip McCormick mags than Wilson 47Ds. The follower in the former's mags pivots to & fro, which I think allows the follower to not hit precisely the same place on the slide stop each time. Usually not a problem, but the positioning of the follower relative to either the front or back of the mag body DOES cause slide lock failures IME.

That being said, I tend to gravitate towards the CMC mags, because, simply, I prefer their bases over Wilson's. And, I think that the 10-round Wilson mag is downright homely sticking out of the magwell. I much prefer the look of the wide mag base on the CMC 10-rounders. They're also easier to withdraw from a mag pouch during IPSC reloads. Personal preference stuff, certainly....

Getting back to slide lock problems, I've had to--on a Kimber--go to the extent of having a 9mm/38 Super slide stop installed in my .45 for it to reliably go to slide lock. The problem as hypothesized by my pistolsmith? Out of spec slide stop hole in the frame. I know what you're thinking; possible, yes. Probable, doubtful. Regardless, it works like a champ now, although certain bullet nose shapes (TC, RNFP) can cause premature slide lock.

BTW, this is my 2,000th post. Does the Swedish Bikini Shooting Team show up at my house in the next 30 minutes? :hrm:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Since it wasn't doing it before and it is doing it now, try cleaning the plunger tube with a Q-tip, some junk probably got in there and is causing the plunger to exert too much pressure on the slide stop detent.
Usually a slide won't lock back because the plunger spring is way too strong or somebody drilled a too deep detent in the slide stop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts