1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Colt Series 70 GM slide will fail to complete the cycle and stop just short of going into battery.I bought it new, and have only fired a few thousand rounds. The slide feels tight, and when you push on the rear of the slide pretty hard, it clunks into battery. What are the signs of a bad series 70 barrel bushing? Ejector? What else? Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If it's doing this without a mag when you're dry cycling, then you can eliminate extractor and chamber problems. It could be lockup grooves or barrel bushing. The barrel bushing can be checked by disassembling the top end and check the to be sure that the bushing slides easily on the barrel, especially along the front 3/4 inch of the barrel. If that's fine, then I would concentrate on the locking grooves and look to see if the barrel hood itself is getting hung up on the breech walls. One other thing to check is the lug on the barrel to see if something has happened where the slide catch pin sits.
I hope this was some help. Depending on what you find, you should be able to fix it yourself.
Of course it could be something else, but these are the places I would look first.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
22 Posts
When is the last time you replaced the recoil spring?

bkm..

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Originally posted by Dorcas:
When is the last time you replaced the recoil spring?

bkm..

aything worth have is worth having two of. lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good suggestions! Mag removed,chamber etc clean,new 16 pound recoil spring. Now I notice that when the slide is "hung up", I can press down on the barrel hood through the ejection port, and the slide releases and goes into battery, must be hanging up in the barrel/slide lockup area. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks again.

------------------

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Hi Haycreek, if the barrel bushing is to tight it could be dragging the barrel up into battery to soon, what I do is put in a large bushing with plenty of clearance to see if that cures it. But what has me baffled is you pistol is stock Colt right? There should be plenty clearance in the barrel fit & bushing. Pete

[This message has been edited by Metal Smith (edited 11-20-2001).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I've been through the Series 70, and everything appears to be correct.I have ordered a new 16# recoil spring from Wolff, and will replace the "gunshow" replacement. Maybe the new Wolff spring will fix it. The end of the barrel is tight on the Series 70 bushing [like it should be], The barrel/bushing fit is the only thing that I can find that can be the problem,I'll post the results of the Wolf spring. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem with a series 70 Colt Commander and it turned the slide was hanging up on the ejecter. Maybe you could pull the slide off and mark the ejecter with a marker, put the slide back on rack it a few times, take back off and see what kind of contact you are getting. That is what revealed my problem. Pete

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A new Wolff recoil spring solved the problem.Some "gunshow" brand X parts aren't reliable.Next time I'll stick with the good brand names. The original Series 70 barrel bushing is tight,a marginal spring won't work.I purchased the Series 70 new in 1975,it has 3-5000 rounds through it,should I go ahead and replace the Series 70 barrel bushing now, or run another 5000 rounds through it first. I carry the Colt and Glock equally. Thanks for your replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts