1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,i am long time lurker and new member! Great board!
I Recently purchase a n.i.b. Springfield Ultra Compact V-10 in stainless,and after cleaning i noticed the slide sits forward of the frame approx. .030 when fully assembled.
I e-mailed the factory and they told me it would function fine but i could send it in for warranty repair if wanted too,I am just wondering if a barrel replacement would fix this problem? any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Shoot it...

...If it bothers you, send it to SA after you get the word from them...They will make it right...Have you tried it out yet? Geez, sometimes ya' just gotta' send it back...but, if it's "working"...well...

It's up to you of course.

No... a barrel won't change it...Is something wrong with it too? I checked the message and you said nothing about any problems...Once again...up to you...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gyp_c,
no there is no other problems,it functions flawlessly! in fact better than expected!with around 300 rounds so far. man i hate finding things like this after i just shelled out $600. i should know by now to look things over good before purchasing but hey it was a new in box springfield right? who woulda guessed?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Well you have another reason to send it to SA now...Someone just said a properly fit barrel will cure it...Send it back if they'll do it for free! Always nice to get good news idn'it?!

Good luck and write a range report to let us know how they finally fix it...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Banned
100 Posts
IMHO without seeing barrel?

But just call them Tell them problem, ask for "RED LABEL FAVOR" through UPS. Get their acct # which SA will give you, I could give you lol but might get in trouble, "LOL" and that's all you need to do. Other then taking to UPS in a box presealed and fill out the handed you "NEXT DAY AIR" form. Just a little info pretty backlogged right now so be prepared for about approx 60- turnaround. GL

·
Administrator
73,776 Posts
If the feet on the bottom lug are cut too far the slide and frame won't mesh perfectly at the rear. It used to be common back in the Stone Age of barrel fitting, when the first gunsmiths were trying for a perfectly tight lockup of the slide stop pin and barrel feet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by Aliensurfer:
Hey guys,i am long time lurker and new member! Great board!
I Recently purchase a n.i.b. Springfield Ultra Compact V-10 in stainless,and after cleaning i noticed the slide sits forward of the frame approx. .030 when fully assembled.
I e-mailed the factory and they told me it would function fine but i could send it in for warranty repair if wanted too,I am just wondering if a barrel replacement would fix this problem? any ideas? Thanks
This is not a problem, and here is what I would do. Call them, and tell them what is wrong, and express your disapointment. Write a letter that will travel with the gun, telling them that you heard such great things about SA, and you are hopefull they will take care of this and fit the gun properly. If you know a good 1911 smith, have him look at it, or you look at it and check slide fit, etc etc. You stand a VERY good chance of getting back the finest firearm they are capable of producing. I would bitch, politely, and informedly (is that a word?) about anything I can with the gun. What often happens in a case like that, if you do it correctly and are deemed a "saveable problem, and not an *ss h*le" is that they will give the gun to the best people they have, with instructions to make it like they were doing it for themselves. THAT is what you want. It may only be a 2 or 3% improvement over what you have now, but hey, 2 or 3% is still an improvement! and in competition, often the margin of victory is measured in tenths, or even hundreths of a percent. Just you do realize that now you will have to buy another gun for while this one is out, after all, you don't want to be caught short!
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts