1911Forum banner

slide grease

3149 Views 32 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  WESHOOT2
Just curious as to what type of grease everyone uses on their slides. Maybe even a grease not specific to firearms.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Tetra

I use Tetra grease on the slides and FP-10 on everything else. I do this on my alloy frame Kimber and my steel frame gun. Neither seem to show much wear after 2000 and 3500 rounds respectively.

· Registered
133 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. I have some Militec-1 grease but it's too thick. I'm gonna try thining it with some Militec-1 "metal conditioner" and see how it works.

· Registered
619 Posts
Just ordered some Slide Glide that n2299 recomended. I will let everyone know how this stuff works when I get it. Until them I will keep using Wilson grease on the slide rails and M-Pro7 oil on everything else.

MadDog :p

· Registered
296 Posts
I used to use white lithium grease, but it was quite messy.

Now I use Militec-1, which is not as messy, stays where you put it (in the slide rail grooves), and works quite well.

When my free sample of Militec grease is exhausted, I shall purchase some more.

Dr. Lecter

· Registered
745 Posts
Strange indeed, but Militec grease has excellent antirust properties too, while Militec oil is quite poor in this field.
I (and many others, from what I read in this forum) told this to Militec executives, but they said "we are happy with our oil as it is".
Regards,
MAXM

· Registered
58 Posts
Moreover, Militec states that complete corrosion protection will be achieved only after the suggested heat application process has been completed.

Been there, done that, and the result was rust. Same experience without the heating process.

I didn't notice a difference in the lubricating abilities of the product with or without heat applied, however, I have to admit that its lubricating effects are outstanding as is the claimed reduction in barrel fouling after some shootings and reapplications.

I used Militec-1 on several guns for about 3 years, mostly without any complaint, but there were some evident cases of corrosion on guns where I would have suspected it at last, i.e. non-carry guns, stored guns. In fact, in over 20 years of gun ownership I never saw rust on one single gun where I didn't know the obvious reason, except are the incidents involving Militec-1; Militec, however, recommends its product especially as a storage preservative.

I came to suspect that there might indeed be some corrosive behavior inherent of the product itself under special conditions, which goes way over my first impression that Militec's just a poor protectant I could live with regarding its lubricating potentials.

Just my 2cts. :(

Quickloader

· Registered
302 Posts
Wilson Ultima Grease

I like the way it stays put, and it seems to be the right consistency. I like the Militec grease too, but it's way too thick. Haven't tried thinning it with the oil, though...

Specialized

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.