1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rock that the slide is impacting the frame hard enough that is peening the frame. Can I remove the peening to allow the barrel to slide freely or is there another issue that needs to be corrected?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The recoil spring is the stock spring. Less than 5K rounds through the gun.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Put a new spring in it,they're only good for about 3K if you don't shoot bunnyfart loads.

That's where the recoil guide rod head sits,the slide doesn't hit it directly.Look at both pieces and clean them up to mate nicely.If the frame is flanging and peening into the tunnel area,look at the big round weld plug on the back of the guide rod and clearance that so it rides in the tunnel and can't peen the flats in.While you're there look at the top radius and the front of the barrel lugs to make sure they aren't touching,if so file a bevel on the rear of the radius to keep the lugs from hitting.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
A few questions, what ammo are you shooting, what spring weight did it have if you know and how far away from the gun are the spent cases falling? This will give some idea about what the recoil spring is doing. And is the brass deformed in any way after ejection?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure of spring weight. Stock from Rock Island. Shooting reloads. Mid load not hot. Cases fly about eight to ten feet out. Brass has no dents.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Ok, 8-10 feet for mid loads indicates maybe too light a spring, I would suggest a bit stronger spring. Try starting at 14# and maybe go to 16# rounds should drop about 4feet from you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How would changing the mainspring help the situation?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Is this an alloy frame?

How would changing the mainspring help the situation?
A heavier mainspring or square bottom firing pin stop slows down the slide like a heavier recoil spring.......think about it. Every time it fires the slide has to cock the hammer.

This Will help.

Also make sure that the guide rod and plug aren't bottoming out.

And check to see if you have recoil spring coil bind.

Are you using shock buffers? These sometimes can lead to a coil bind / bottoming situation.

All it takes is the stacked length of the recoil assembly (spring, guide, plug) to be just a little longer than the distance from the frame to the bushing with the slide fully back and you'll get this kind of wear. The gun may be making its own clearance.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Do the barrel feet hit the VIS? I don't see any marks on it.

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
I bought a new RIA a few years ago, and during the pre-firing inspection I found the recoil spring to be short and weak. I put a new Wolff 16# spring in it and it worked fine. My son has had that one for years and it runs perfectly. Definitely put a new Wolff recoil spring and firing pin spring (extra-power) set in it. And a good cleaning wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Your guide rod is the culprit, get a 10-8 gi gr, it is beveled so it doesn't make contact. If you are using flgr check some of the other mfg's who have a beveled one. Your spring should probably be replaced if you replace gr.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm no expert, and maybe it's just a bit of grainyness in the pics, but it looks like you have a problem with the barrels lower lug feet impacting the VIS. Might wanna check that out...completely unrelated to your (already solved) problem :rofl:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the checklist.
I ordered wolf spring #16. Should have ordered the kit. Will look into it.
The peening is from the FLGR and there are marks on the slide from hitting the FLGR.
Barrel Lower Lug Feet do not appear to be contacting the frame. Just the upper portion that connects to the barrel.
FLGR weld plug clears the tunnel and appears to contact the barrel appropriately.

I am going to change the springs, blue the marked areas, and look for contact as I cycle rounds through it.

Thanks again Gentlemen. I am a believer in education.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts