1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hello to everyone.I am new to the forum and have a slight problem on a kimber stainless target II i just purchased.When i try to remove or re install the slide on the frame grip safety pin sticks up just a little high and causes a very tight fit. I actuall have to force it on or off.I am not squeezing the grip safety and i have tried tapping the magwell and it will go no lower.It is a very small amount i am talking about.My question is can i dis assemble this and file it down just enough for clearance or what should i do. Thanks..the link shows the spot i am talking about

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/pix/Kimber_Pro_CDP_slide_removed_250.jpg

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Push the pin down with your finger. You must not depress the grip safety. Then slide the slide on over the pin. The pin should not stick up above the top of the frame. Be careful you can shear the tip of the pin off, if you do the firing pin safety will not disengage, preventing the pistol from firing. Did you not get a manual with the pistol? There are very specific assembly directions in the manual.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pin does stick out over the top of the frame no matter what i do.Thats the problem i am having.the picture in the link is not my gun it was a pic i found during a search.I have many other 1911's and have not had a problem with assembly like this..

·
Registered
417 Posts
The pin does stick out over the top of the frame no matter what i do.Thats the problem i am having.the picture in the link is not my gun it was a pic i found during a search.I have many other 1911's and have not had a problem with assembly like this..
Yeah, that's not normal. I would let Kimber fix this one, or find a 1911 Smith familiar with the SWARTZ safety mechanism on series II Kimbers. If you just go grinding away without knowing what has caused the problem, you are likely to do more damage than good. Depending on the age of the gun, but especially because this is a safety issue, Kimber will likely fix it for free.

The other alternative is to remove the SWARTZ system entirely, and install an XP firing pin spring and possibly a Titanium firing pin to prevent muzzle-drop ADs. You would essentially then have a Colt series 70 type setup like Colt and Springfield Armory use.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was hoping to not have to send it back.pistol seems to function fine when its together.will take it completely apart later today and take a look.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Remove the MSH and file back the tabs shown below. Remove a little material and then re-install and check. Remove material until the tip of the Swartz is flush with the frame. File on the vertical surfaces only. I had the same issue after installing a new magwell.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Another thing I've learned in the installation of Kimber magwells on a couple of my guns is to make sure that when filing as shown in the picture above, be sure to match the backward angle of the vertical upright tabs shown in the illustration above.

The factory MSH has an angle on the vertical portion of the front of the tabs that goes towards the back of the MSH.

A magwell from Kimber has the vertical tabs almost straight up and down.

Filing to match the same angle as the factory MSG works like a charm every time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts