1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, sorry if this has been addressed but i searched and couldn't find anything.

Ok, well I got my first gun recently and it was my dad's old SA Mil-spec. So I intended to clean/lube it but the to take the slide off the frame was quite difficult, not like i see in vids where it comes right off. Is it normal? will it go away if i clean it a few more times?

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
More details needed. Did you get the slide off? Were the rails rusty? The slide will catch at first then basically fall off the front of the frame.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The only thing that will make the slide stick is rust, dried oil that has become a type of glue and the disconnectoir which is spring loaded in the up position into a depression in the slide.

All three can happen at the same time.

Follow the procedure,remove the magazine and eject any round from the chamber. depress the recoil spring cap, turn the barrel bushing and allow the recoil spring to extend. Then remove the slide stop.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Try turning the pistol upside down so the swing link is against the barrel. If you have it downside down the swing link may be swinging down and pushing against the frame. Which would make getting the slide off difficult.

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
First post, sorry if this has been addressed but i searched and couldn't find anything...

but the to take the slide off the frame was quite difficult...
What method/steps did you take to remove the slide? Is the gun totally stock or does it have modifications? Full length guide rod or GI spec?

·
Registered
856 Posts
guys... he's new... he hasn't removed the bushing yet.

Ok the piece on the end of the barrel past the slide, first unload, check it again no rounds in magazine well none in the chamber.

looking at the muzzle, turn the bottom of the bushing to the left you have to push down the springy cap under the barrel to do this., the spring should come out, remove it and the cap. turn bushing to the right, remove. disassemble pistol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the slide off and there was no rust anywhere on the gun, as far as i could tell.

the slide just gets very tight right before it comes off of the frame. also there is no full length guide rod.

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
Again, more info will help. Someone else already mentioned a distinct possibility. If you are new to 1911s and unfamiliar with proper takedown, you could be causing the problem yourself. If not, then follow the instructions below.
Take the barrel, bushing, and recoil spring parts out of the slide. Reinstall the bare slide on the frame and check for binding through the full stroke. Report back here. This will help us help you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, more info will help. Someone else already mentioned a distinct possibility. If you are new to 1911s and unfamiliar with proper takedown, you could be causing the problem yourself. If not, then follow the instructions below.
Take the barrel, bushing, and recoil spring parts out of the slide. Reinstall the bare slide on the frame and check for binding through the full stroke. Report back here. This will help us help you.
The barrel brushing has been removed each time I strip the gun. with all the recoil parts out of the gun the slide is still tight (binding is suppose?) before the slide is completely off of the frame.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Are you removing the slide with the frame up or down?

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
I've seen this on several Springers.
Just the way the slide/frame is cut.
Don't sweat it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts