1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate an explanation of why some mags (e.g., Wilson 7-rounders) won't lock back the slide on my LB Concept 7. The pistol seems to have stronger-than-average plunger spring tension, and I'm thinking that maybe the mag spring isn't strong enough to overcome the tension and move the slide stop. Thanks.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's the mag spring

I had the same problem with a Wilson 47D. In my case, it was a weak mag spring...four out of five 47Ds in my bag had the same issue. I called Wilson Combat at 1-800-955-4856 and ended up speaking with Frank Robbins in Customer Service (extension 107).

Frank was great, determined which style of 47D I had and diagnosed the problem. Then, he said he was sending me a set of new springs for my magazines. At no charge!

A few days later, the springs arrived and the problem was solved.

Give Frank a call. I bet he can help.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, Mark,

Just out of curiosity, how long had you had those magazines and how much had you used them?

I use GI mags, and have never had one fail to lock the gun back, even when they have remained loaded for months or years. What have we forgotten about making springs?

Jim

·
Registered
684 Posts
Wilson springs

Hi -

I bought the mags used, but they were supposed to be "like new".

I noted one or two posts here about the Wilson 8 rounders having this problem. When I spoke to Frank at Wilson, he mentioned that they have upgraded the strength of their springs on later production runs of the 47D 8 rounders. Although he didn't say it, it seemed pretty clear that there were a number of these magazines made at some point with springs that were weaker than they should have been. So I don't think it's an issue of the springs wearing out. It's my sense from the posts here and from Frank's comments that the original springs were weaker than they should have been from the get-go. Hope this information is helpful.

Good shooting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts