1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. Need your advice.

Have a Kimber Pro CDP with about 3K rounds through it. I replaced the stock slide stop with a Wilson slide stop about 1500 rounds ago. Also have an Ed Brown and it worked ok but I'm partial to the Wilson.

So far, no problem until today. First 75 or so rounds I shot today no problem, then as the weapon got dirty the slide stop decided to stop locking open on an empty mag. No problem with the Brown part. The mags are exclusively Wilson 47Ds with springs and followers that are less than three months old. Problem occured on all five mags and has not occured prior to today.

Recoil spring is a Wolff 22 pound that has about 500 rounds through it. Kimber recommends using a 20 pound spring and changing the spring at 800 rounds, but some on this board suggested the 22 pounder for better operation. I've been using the 22 pounders with success for about 1500 rounds.

Ammo shot through the weapon has been and is exclusively Winchester White Box 230 grain or Ranger RA45SXT and haven't had a problem with either as of yet.

Cleaned weapon and mags, and using dummy rounds problem persisted with the Wilson.

Other than sticking with the Brown, I'd really like to get the Wilson up and running again. Suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It may be the Kimber. I had consistent failure to lock problems on my Kimber GM, and a 'smith installed a 38 Super slide stop with a longer tab for the follower to hit. Solved the problem.

When I asked the obvious question "Why do I need a 38S slide stop on my .45?," his reply was Kimber has been known for some out-of-spec frame holes. I wasn't happy to hear that, but I was happy that the problem was solved.

The 38S s.s. has been in there since, and I've forgotten about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you checked to be sure that there are no slight rub marks between the slide stop and the frame? Maybe just enough interference to prevent lock up. The fact that the other slide stop works fine steers me away from any recoil spring issues. Otherwise, ya, maybe the 38s slide stop would work, but I don't know why you are so hung up on using the Wilson slide stop. You have an Ed Brown that works flawlessly, and a Wilson which does not work. Outside of modifying the Wilson, maybe buying a new one and trying it, or seeing if something is rubbing on the frame. I think you may have to change up. Easiest thing to do would be to have a gunsmith weld a small piece on the bottom of the slide stop to slightly increase its "reach" into the slide stop notch when it hits the follower in the mag, but again I really don't understand why you would pay to do this when you have a quality part available that works. Let us know what you do.

Gunslinger

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

Howdy all. Wanted to give you an update on this situation.

Went to the gunsmith today. He looked at the slide stop for all of a minute and declared, "I see the problem."

Sometimes a 1/8" dimple must be drilled into the slide stop to preclude the stop from coming up and prematurely locking the slide with rounds still in the mag. Apparently a dimple had been worn into the back end of the slide stop from me shooting it so much and that dimple was deep enough to prevent the follower from overcoming the plunger spring tension on the slide stop to lock it open.

He filed it flat, I test shot it for 200 rounds using various mags and the problem was solved.

Hope this helps someone else down the road, and I thank y'all that responded for your ideas.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had one specific magazine ,after shooting the last round the slide will not lock back, i was at my first ipsc shoot some told to check the mag.follower i did;nt bother checking it just went ahead and replaced with a wilson brand ,so everything is fine.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, mbsigman1,

Glad to hear the problem is solved. Some gunsmiths drill a detent hole in the slide stop, but it was never in the original specs, and it should not be necessary if the slide stop is made correctly and the plunger spring has the proper tension.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts