1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some new Wolff mag springs in my WartHawg and took it to the range last night to put 250 rounds through it. I noticed that you really have to slingshot the slide to get the first round to feed and it's sort of a "notchy" feed some times. I attribute this to the new mag springs being extra stiff. That last round is really in there tight, so I'm not surprised it doesn't slide out as easily.

I had zero FTF issues, but I did have the slide lock back twice when the magazine was not empty. The second time this happened, I marked the magazine, but it of course didn't happen again after that. Is this issue mag related, or is it possibly caused by me applying upward pressure on the slide lock by accident??? I really have to grip this gun firmly to control the recoil and I'm wondering if maybe I'm the cause of the problem. Any one else had this problem? I'm going to put another 100 rounds through it next week and concentrate on my grip and will also be monitoring which mag(s) have the problem (if it even happens again).

Some history: the first 320 rounds I put through this gun I rec'd two FTF. With my 250 rounds last night, I'm up to a total of 570 rounds through the gun.

Tedster

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Placing your fingers in the wrong area can activate the slide lock as can an "extended" slide lock by the extra weight of the lever.

"Slingshot" to me implies grasping the slide by the thumb and one finger. A better method (as taught at Gunsite among other places) is to reach over the slide with your support hand, thumb to the rear, grasp the slide with the meat of your hand and most fingers (depending on slide length!) and push-pull with both hands. Use this motion everytime you manually move the slide. For everything. Forget you can trip the slide stop and close the slide, that's a unique, fine motor skill motion.

If the pistol continues to lock open on a partial magazine you can dimple the part of the slide stop where the detent makes contact. This is a very common slight alteration. Getting the dimple in the right place, though, requires precision as too low and the slide will lock all the time!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
700 Posts
If it is the same magazine, except the spring, and ammo, I would think it would be your hand moving up. You might want to check to be sure rounds are not contacting the slide lock as they move up in the magazine. Chuck's idea of putting a little dimple in the slide lock lever is a good one. I once had a gun where the slide locked back occasionally partially through the magazine. I could not identify the cause, ammo or hand position. However, a little dimple in the slide lock cured it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the problem happened many times (probably 7 - 8 times) again last night when I took this gun to the range for 150 rounds of fun. I was watching my grip very carefully and the problem was still happening, so I switched to some one hand only shooting and it happened a couple of more times! So, I now know that the problem is definitely not user error because when shooting one handed, my thumb can't even reach the slide lock.

This problem started happening after I installed the Wolff heavy duty mag springs, so I've yanked those back out tonight and put the factory springs back in. I can't see how this would matter, but I'll find out later this week when I get it out again.

I noticed that Para has actually already dimpled the slide stop like some of you were recommending I do! Very interesting, eh? It's sort of like they already acknowledge that this gun has this problem inherently since they're coming this way from the factory. I wonder if my dimple isn't big enough?

I'm going to call Para tomorrow and see if they'll possibly ship me a replacement slide stop. I'm not real excited about shipping the gun in only to have it gone for several weeks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sometimes with widebody Paras the bullet nose pushes up the slide stop from the inside. Take your slide off of the frame. Put the slide stop back in the frame with the slide removed and insert a loaded magazine in the frame. Look at the bullet tip/slide stop area and make sure there is clearance. If not, go for the dremel, change bullet shapes or get another slide stop. Been there, done that twice. If clearance is minimal, the detent usually does the job.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update -- I put the factory magazine springs back in and the slide locking back on a loaded magazine problem completely went away. I put 150 rounds through the gun and had one FTE, but no other problems at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts