1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new Wilson to the range Saturday. Every 2nd or 3rd shot from the 1st 25 fired saw the slide locking up. On the 2nd 25 it only happened once. Only fired 50 rounds. Anyone have any ideas as to cause.

·
Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
searcher

I am FAR from any expert but there are only four possible sources. User, gun, mag or ammo. It may not be the first three.

What ammo were you using?

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ammo was handload 230gr LRN with 4.6 gr's of Bullseye.

The slide locked up as it would normally after the last round was fired.

·
Registered
364 Posts
searcher,

As Terry stated it could be:
1. Ammo related -try factory ammo per Wilson's instructions of prefered ammo. Wilson's can be ammo sensitve.
2. Mag related, try a different mag
3. Make sure your thumbs are not pushing up on the slide lock or near it when shooting.
4. If you use quality factory ammo, use a proven Wilson mag, and are keeping your thumbs/fingers away from the slide lock, then it has to be the gun.

Good shooting,

Dean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PT and Deang. Will have another session next Saturday. I'll follow your advise and report back . By the way, the magazine is the one that came with the new gun. Two came with it, but I left one home last Saturday.

·
Registered
364 Posts
searcher,

It is always a good idea to have a spare mag handy for comparison purposes if nothing else. And while we would all like to believe that everything coming from Wilson's is 100% right out of the box, I have had to on occasion, open a new mag and trim some excess plastic or just clean it before it would function 100%.

Don't forget to shoot some of the reccomended factory ammo and see what happens.

Good luck this weekend,

Dean

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see this fairly often on the range with officers with a new weapon, the vast majority of times it is the left hand thumb of a right hand shooter riding the slide release lever up. Try stacking thumbs on the safety and see if it goes away (ala bill wilson in his video).

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a Kimber that did this for a while. It was very frustrating. It was the ammo. As a round was being stripped off the mag the next round was being pushed forward in the mag, as it came up to be stripped off when the slide was back the nose of the bullet was just barely nudging the slidelock up causing the slide to lock open.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i had a similar problem like this on a Springfield i once owned.

It turned out to be that the plunger tube didn't have enough clearance for the pin to come thru and engage the slide stop.

During some of the firing the recoil would flip the slide stop into the slide and lock it open.

If it isn't any problems that have been posted above you might want to try looking there too.

Good luck
Ross T.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Sarge51,Rosanghal and Msmith. I hope to make it to the range tomorrow and check things out according to your suggestions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shot an additional 200 rounds Saturday. Slide still locking up at least once per magazine. My hands were clear of both the slide lock and the magazine. I use the molded pistol notch on the bench rest for support. The odd thing was that when I shot without using this molded pistol for support, no lock ups occured. A friend shot the last 38 rounds standing and no lockups occured. When using the bench, I am pressing against this molded pistol notch for stability. Again both hands were free off both the magazine and slide stop. Ammo was 230 gr lrn; 2 different brands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts