1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Colt series 70 govt, slide failes to always completely lock forward in a fire position. When cycled by hand the slide tightens and sometimes stop 1/8 inch or less before it should. Can this be the barrel link.When pushed forward with a thumb, it "clunks" into position. thanks.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Does it still have the collet bushing? If so, you are likely seeing the collet spreading a little early, a little tight. Those bushings are not meant to center the barrel by spring tension, the flare at the muzzle of the barrel is intended to wedge the collet into the slide. Some overdo. If it is to the point that it jams the gun in operation it is way too tight and may break a collet finger off and lock it up solidly. Not that I have ever seen one to do that. It is a more common warning than an actual failure. A GI bushing might go right in, or you could have a snug conventional bushing fitted.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Or it could be something as simple as a worn out recoil spring. Try a new one, or one with a bit more spring weight. (ie, if yours is stock at 16 lbs, try one that's 18 1/2 lbs.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Does it still have the collet bushing? If so, you are likely seeing the collet spreading a little early, a little tight. Those bushings are not meant to center the barrel by spring tension, the flare at the muzzle of the barrel is intended to wedge the collet into the slide. Some overdo. If it is to the point that it jams the gun in operation it is way too tight and may break a collet finger off and lock it up solidly. Not that I have ever seen one to do that. It is a more common warning than an actual failure. A GI bushing might go right in, or you could have a snug conventional bushing fitted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Jim Watson, your advice to replace the collet is good advice, the symtoms,does indicate that is my problem. Haycreek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts