1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that RRA has been know for "clean" slides...you know, free of markings, but ATF just made it mandatory that we engrave "Model 1911A1" on the sides of the slides because according to law, each gun must have the designated model number for identification perposes. RRA has NO choice in this matter and the ATF tied our hands behind our back on this one. Only the finished guns in the shop that we have blued, chromed, black-t'd, or Bodycoated are the last pistols that are going to be "clean." I'm sorry to bring this news to you guys because I have seen and heard many compliments about leaving the sides free of markings....Darn government policies anyway.

As for Bodycoat...my god these people need to straighten up and take care of us. They ruined 1 frame and 2 slides for us. Ruined meaning they had to strip the plating and send the parts back to us for repolishing. There is definetly something going on there and we aren't too happy about it. I don't know if we are going to be able to finish out our orders for bodycoat because of their never ending screwups. The frame I previously mentioned is on it's third attempt at getting the plating right. Rediculous isn't it???

As for our orders, all of us in the Custom Shop are assembling and finishing up about 70 pistols so there are going to be quite a few people out there that are going to see their pistols before Christmas. If any of you would like to know about your status on your order, [email protected] is my address and you can mail me there. Use Dr. Bob as the subject because my account is overloaded with spam every day and i get delete happy. You can also private message me on the forum here too.

Thats about it on my end,
Talk to you all later,
Bob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dr. Bob,

... Last of a kind ... that's gotta be worth something, eh? :) (Good thing I'm not the nervous type).

·
Registered
351 Posts
*sigh*

This is what happens when you wait too long to make a decision. My shop sold the Limited Match the other day and it looks like the Basic Limited Match still there was taken out for a "test run".

Anyone want to "sell" me their place in line? Geeze, it's like Harley Davidson a few years ago!

Bob - is there a way to make the Model 1911A1 as small as possible? Like how lawyers print stuff in contracts super small?;)

That ATF rule is stupid. If you can't figure out it's a 1911A1 without stamping, then you certainly shouldn't be owning a $1500+ gun.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Ya'll are really doing everything you can to make me wish I had ordered one of your guns 4 years ago aren't you?

Any word on just how big or small the "model 1911A1" lettering will have to be? It might actually be kind of cool if it was small enough to fit directly under the ejection port.

Anybody else know if you can fill in these kinds of things with bondo before chroming or polymer coating?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Dr. Bob said:
I know that RRA has been know for "clean" slides...you know, free of markings, but ATF just made it mandatory that we engrave "Model 1911A1" on the sides of the slides because according to law, each gun must have the designated model number for identification perposes. RRA has NO choice in this matter and the ATF tied our hands behind our back on this one.
I assume you will make the markings small & tastefull. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Is there some reason that the marking can't be put in small print on the frame near the manufacturer's markings? Why on the slide?

later,
AJ

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dr. Bob said:
I know that RRA has been know for "clean" slides...you know, free of markings, but ATF just made it mandatory that we engrave "Model 1911A1" on the sides of the slides...
*slams head on desk*

when it rains, it pours. but thanks for the heads up on the Bodycoat. certainly a good reason to drop 'em.

does it have to be on both sides? do they have rules on the engraving or stamping, for example, say should after hundreds of holster/reholster drills that the gooberment mandated graffiti should, um, mysteriously rub off?:D

·
Banned
597 Posts
I believe this may have to do with the fact that they are considered production models and not custom pistols anymore.

I am wondering how much you'd have to change say an Elite Commando for it to be considered custom and therefore devoid of markings.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Markings

They are still custom guns, the ATF just mandates that the model of the pistol be stamped or engraved somewhere on the pistol. Each of these guns are built according to order so they are considered to be genuine custom guns...now they have "model 1911A1 engraved on the side opposite of the ejection port. The letters are not extremely large, but not small either. It doesn't make the pistol look ugly by any means, but I would rather have the model engraved under the ejection port. We can't do the frame because there is too much parts and equipment that has a chance to cover up the engraving...such as frame mounts and other parts for the gun. The engraving is somewhat deep so we have plenty of engraving to polish over without polishing off the model number. All in all, they look just as nice.

I'll let you know if there is any changes on our situation with Bodycoat.

Have a great weekend everyone,
Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did the ATF agent quote the relavent law? Why can't you put the model number on the frame so it can be covered by the grips?

If the model number has to be on the slide, why not just put it in the same place kimber does to match there frames to slides?

I'm looking at a catalog of Baer guns and I don't see a model number stamped anywhere on any of the slides.

Not to flame, but even though a gun is built from parts the buyer chooses (similiar to what SVI does) doesn't make the gun custom. I always thought a custom gun was made by one smith for every step of the building process.

If I goto my dealer and tell him I want a kimber with an ambi safety and adjustable rear sight and that pistol arrives from kimber with those features is that gun custom? It was built according to order, but it cannot be called custom.

Again, I don't mean to flame. I'll probably be ordering one of your fine ARs after Christmas and tax time.

Josh

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Josh,

Judging from your post, I think you might have misunderstood. They are not mandated to put the serial number on the side of the slide (which is what your post seems to imply), but to put an identifying mark (RRA has chosen "model 1911-A1"). "I'm looking at a catalog of Baer guns and I don't see a model number stamped anywhere on any of the slides. " No, but they are stamped "Baer Custom".

"If I goto my dealer and tell him I want a kimber with an ambi safety and adjustable rear sight and that pistol arrives from kimber with those features is that gun custom? It was built according to order, but it cannot be called custom." What happens when you tell Kimber you want real Bomar sights? Or if you ask for no front slide serrations? Ask them to send you a pistol with a standard recoil configuration, and see what happens.

You have not started flames, but you are most certainly mistaken. I have not taken offense, I am just trying to help you understand where some of the differences lie.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Damian

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Why not "RRA", "Rock River", or something distinguishing instead of the generic "1911A1..."?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Josh,

dubb-1 said:
Judging from your post, I think you might have misunderstood. They are not mandated to put the serial number on the side of the slide (which is what your post seems to imply), but to put an identifying mark (RRA has chosen "model 1911-A1"). "I'm looking at a catalog of Baer guns and I don't see a model number stamped anywhere on any of the slides. " No, but they are stamped "Baer Custom".

"If I goto my dealer and tell him I want a kimber with an ambi safety and adjustable rear sight and that pistol arrives from kimber with those features is that gun custom? It was built according to order, but it cannot be called custom." What happens when you tell Kimber you want real Bomar sights? Or if you ask for no front slide serrations? Ask them to send you a pistol with a standard recoil configuration, and see what happens.

You have not started flames, but you are most certainly mistaken. I have not taken offense, I am just trying to help you understand where some of the differences lie.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Damian
Hi Damian,

I didn't mean to imply they had to put the serial number on the slide, but could they could put the mark in the same place Kimber put the serial number on their slides? Sorry if this isn't making sense. Could the model number be put in a place that is on the slide, but not in view unless the pistol was disassembled?

In my example I don't mean to imply that kimber is anywhere near RRA. In my example though the buyer got exactly the options he wanted, but that pistol is not custom. If it isn't the options that make the gun custom I think it is the fact that one pistolsmith from start to finish has created by the final product.

Nice website btw.

Josh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts