1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first 1911 a couple days ago. It is a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, a nice gun. However, one thing I noticed is that the slide feels like it hits a snag as it is moving forward. I'm not sure if this is normal or if something that needs to be adjusted. It doesn't stop moving or anything, but it feels like it runs into some small obstruction just after it starts moving forward and it makes a sound like it is hitting something on its way forward. I have cleaned and lubricated the gun but that didn't change anything.

Is this just a normal thing with 1911s, or is something not functioning properly? Does anyone have any idea specifically what it is that I can hear and feel when I run the slide back and forth? I haven't been able to figure it out, but I'd like to know what it is.

Since it is a new gun, I don't want to have any issues with the slide when I fire it for the first time.

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
It is probably the disconnector contact that you're noticing.

Lock the slide back. Look in the ejection port. See the little round thing sticking out of the frame? That's the disconnector.

It is completely normal to feel a little drag, but if your gun is not going back into battery there is something wrong.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
After you know your 1911 is reliable you could file a ramp on the front edge of the slides stripping block that comes in contact with the disconnect . Watch the video below Video and it will l show how to do this and it will make your slide a smooth operator !! I have done this to our other two 1911's my wife and I carry but never got around to it with the Springfield Ronin 9mm 5" I have . So after reading this I went up and get my ronin taped over the fining pin hole and cleaned any lube away and did the file cut like in the video below and it took all of 10 minutes to file and 5 more stone very smooth . You can do this with a basic $10 set of small filles from harbor freight or amazon for the rough cut . I polished mine smooth I thinned down a piece of wood scrap to about .130 wide and used a couple strips of 600grit wet dry paper on it held with two fingers to smooth the filing marks . I gunsmith did this ramp cut on a officers model I bought back in '88 .

A 1911 Modification You've Never Seen - YouTube

1 - 6 of 6 Posts