1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the possible culprits that could stop a slide from locking back? I thought I had resolved the issue when I switched to the Wilson Bulletproof slidestop, but while shooting today it failed to lock back three times. I was shooting seven different magazines WC 47D mags and it failed on three of them. On the third failure I stopped shooting that pistol and went back to the LBC TRS, which ran perfectly with all seven mags even though it's still too tight :rolleyes:

So what is the most likely issue? The slide stop is a new WC BP which I feel good about. I may try a different Colt slidestop, but I don't think the slidestop is the issue. It did the same thing with the original factory slidestop so it's time to look for other issues.

How about the plunger? Could that stop the slidestop from moving up? What about the plunger would cause this effect.

I noticed some copper on the slidestop where it protrudes into the magazine. Is it protruding too far? Is that even an issue? I have a nice set of files if that's the case, but I would think that copper would tend to push it up early rather than not let it move, particularly after the last round is gone. TIA

Perplexed

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No clues ehh? How's this: I swapped out the Wilson Bulletproof slidestop for the slidestop in a Colt 1991A1 that runs good. Now instead of occasionally not locking back, it occasionally locks back early, just like it did with the original factory slidestop.

What's the difference in these slidestops? Taking a close look, the rear of the Colt slidestop is cut square/flat while the lower half of the Wilson's rear has an oblique cut with a very shallow horizonal groove/step between the flat and the oblique. Hmmm, if that's the only difference (they both work about 80% of the time) then maybe the problem is what contacts the rear of the slidestop, ie the plunger. I'll swap the plunger with a know good plunger and try again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts