1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a John Farnam class this past weekend (highly recommend it) in Columbia, SC. The range "floor" was completely sand--deep loose sand. During the exercises, when reloading we had to be moving. Because of this, I usually shuffled sand all over my mags. As you can imagine, they got full of the sand.
My question: After the class, I took them apart for cleaning. When I put them back together, only one would lock the slide back empty(racking slide by hand;haven't shot since cleaning) Could I have done something wrong reassembling? We did quite a bit of tap-rack stuff. My sore left hand tells me I must have been over enthusiastic during the tap. Could I have damaged something? I have ordered new followers and spring, but was wondering what might have caused this. Is it possible I could have damaged the slide lock itself? The one mag that does lock the slide pushes it all the way into the detent in the slide.
Thanks, and sorry for the length.

Bill Lance

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bill Check to make sure the springs are in correctly.Compare them to the magazine that locks the slide back. BILLG

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They seem to be the same with no help. I guess I'll wait and install the new springs and followers. If that doesn't help, I guess a call to Arkansas will be in order. They're great and hopefully can set me straight.
Thanks for the tip BILLG

Bill Lance

·
Registered
129 Posts
It is very possible to install springs where they look correct, but are not. The spring angle (wire direction with respect to the magazine axis) is the reverse of the floorplate angle.

It is also possible that the follower is not seated over the spring correctly, and all looks correct.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It is very possible to install springs where they look correct, but are not. The spring angle (wire direction with respect to the magazine axis) is the reverse of the floorplate angle.

It is also possible that the follower is not seated over the spring correctly, and all looks correct.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new followers and springs did the trick. It's hard to believe that approx. 750 rounds over the weekend with 6mags would cause the springs to weaken. They have never been stored loaded. Also, the new springs were much longer than the old. Maybe the originals have been improved on.
Anyway, all is well now. Thanks for the replies.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts