1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around on line for some gunsmithing tools to be able to do the rebuild that I am planning and I can't find anything. I have seen some tool kits for gunsmiths but it is nothing but punches and screwdrivers and not very good ones from what it looks like. I was reading on a web site about a rail file for fitting a slide to a receiver and I can't find it. I am sure someone out there has one of these and can tell me were to get it. If there is anything else besides the obvious, screwdrivers and such, like special files or cutters, etc. That would help do the job right, I would really appreciate it. I don't want my tools to be the reason for mistakes. I want to take credit for those all myself.:dope:

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
forget online

Get a Brownells catalog; you can view online; you can use the phone and talk to real (Guild) 'smiths.

They can help.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
I bought my slide rail file (and several others) from Brownell's. As Weshoot2 says, Brownell's is an excellent source of products and advice when you're working on 1911's.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Perhaps a better question would be what kind of "rebuild" you are planning.

I purchased a Caspian slide for a fairly new Springfield frame and it required no fitting at all. The slide dropped right onto the Springfield frame and has just a little bit of side to side and up and down movement. I wasn't expecting it to go that way based on what I had heard of how oversize Caspian parts are, but it did.

My suggestion (if you aren't in a hurry), would be to get your slide and frame together first, take some measurements and try putting them together, and then decide on what tools you want to buy to fit the two parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts