1911Forum banner

slide question??

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rimfire,22 
#1 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, new to this site, I didn't know how to respond without posting new thread, all of your input it greatly appreciated. I put 200 rounds through my kimber with no problems, shoots great, guess my problem is that I was weary cause I've never spent that much on a pistol. Got a question though. I've heard that letting the slide go home on an empty chamber is bad for it, like it wears something out really bad? Any help on this. I haven't done this, but was warned against itand was just curious, thanks for the info!

#3 ·
It won't hurt your extractor because with an empty chamber there is nothing for it to hit. It is hard on the barrel link, slide stop and locking lugs to let the slide slam shut on an empty chamber without the cushioning and slowing effect of feeding a round from the magazine.

#4 ·
What's hard on the extractor is dropping a round into the chamber while the slide is locked back and then letting it fly closed. The extractor has to snap over the rim of the round and some feel that it will overstress the extractor. Normal feeding from the magazine has the rim slide up the breechface into the extractor hook.

I don't think most people are inclined to do the above anyway.

#6 ·
Richard said:
It causes extractor problems. Buy some snap caps for this and for dry firing. Regards, Richard:D
What the heck do you need the snap caps for?

just ride the slide shut on an empty chamber, that's all you need to worry about....

you can let the hammer drop on an empty chamber all day long and not hurt it....

sno

#7 ·
shocktroop,

OK I believe slamming the elside close while empty will cause "undue stress on the locking lugs underneath the slide and from the top of the barrel cjamber". During the action of firing ones pistol the slide is cushioned by the action of stripping a round from the magazine into the chamber. If you do just the opposite your just stressing the pistol out when it's un-necessary. In this case I would use snap caps to slow the action OR just don't do it at all.

rimfire,22

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.