1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I'm considering buying a Brown Class A Commander. While inspecting it I noticed that with the slide release up, holding the slide back, there are very noticable scratches to the frame ( not that noticable with the slide release down and slide forward). These scratches go to the bare metal. It seems the Brown slide release is very snug/close to the frame. The pistol is being represented as new, unfired and never disassembled. My question is, are these scratches normal for a Ed Brown pistol that hasn't been disassembled? Is it due to the fit of the release? I checked the slide release on a Colt Gold Cup and there is a little space between the release and the frame. I really need some feedback as I have three days to decide to buy the pistol. BTW, I specifically asked the seller if there were any scratches to the frame around the slide release due to disassembly.
Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
If they're covered by the slide stop when it's pushed all the way down there isn't a problem. If they are still visible when the stop is pressed all the way down that means they are from disassembly and aren't acceptable on a new gun.

If you look at the slide stop the only thing that stops it from going through the gun is the arms contact with the frame. Because of this there is really no way to get around having scratched under the slide stop. When I'm fitting one I like to make it so the high spot that rubs is near the middle of the arm, this way the scratches aren't noticeable not matter what position the stop is in. I highly doubt Brown does that though, so some visibly scratching is to be expected.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Very normal and not limited to Ed Brown pistols.

No matter how careful I was, I always managed to (sooner or later) scratch the slide on a 1911 while reinstalling the slide stop. :rolleyes: :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts