1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use the slide release to release the slide so I just noticed a problem with my Kimber Target Match. When the slide is locked back and a loaded magazine is inserted or when the gun is empty with out a magazine, the slide does not release when you pull it to the rear to release it. I tried these situations with my 2 colts and the slide released when pulled to the rear. the slide releases fine when you use the release.
What could be the problem and then what is the solution? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tenchu74

Kruzr hit the Bullseye. if you are using a shock-Buff you will need to remove it in order to pull the slide back to drop the slide stop. The reason for this is Kimber cuts the slide stop notch longer than John Brownings original design (compare your Kimber to your Colt). Since the notch is longer the slide does not have enough travel to the rear to push the stop out of the way if a buff is installed. So the only way to correct this is to remove the buff.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
The slide lock is in a different location in several pistols. Tripping it to close the slide is an inefficient method of closing the slide. Just finding it and clumbsy with cold, wet, or gloved hands. Reaching over the slide and cycling it works every time, with every pistol I can think of other than my old Ruger .22 automatic and Mauser Bolo.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Kruzr hit the Bullseye.
Until he answers, that's a bit premature. It's like shooting without a follow-up. :)

I have some buffs that work in a Kimber. I don't know who makes them but they are semi-transparent green and less than half the thickness of the Wilson ones. I found 4 of these in a box of goodies I got from a guy I bought a gun from. I still don't use them but I tried these and I could slingshot both Kimbers.

If you feel the need for a buff, I guess you could shave them down to a thickness that will work in a Kimber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts