1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at my USGI 1911, S/N 603420 and am curious because I cannot find any S/N (matching or otherwise) on it's slide. I thought I'd read that the slide's S/N would be behind the firing pin stop, but I've completely disassembled (removed pin and ejector) and I don't see anything.

On the back of the slide, under the firing pin stop, the number '7' is stamped, directly under the hole for the firing pin. Along the underside of the firing pin channel there is the letter 'L' stamped at the back of the channel (near the stop) and the number '1' stamped about half way down. Other than that I see no markings.

The rollmarks on the slide list the patents, colt logo, and 'COLT'S PT.F.A MFG CO. HARTFORD,CT.U.S.A' on the left side and simply 'MODEL OF 1911.U.S.ARMY' on the right.

Is this normal behavior for a slide circa 1919 or should I be concerned that this slide was added later. This USGI was the recipient of the WWII rebuild (plastic grips, 'AA' and the s15 logos stamped in the frame). Could it have been replaced then?

Thanks for any help guys. History never was my specialty. :)

------------------
“What’s the use of sending a $2 million missile into a $10 tent to hit a camel in the butt?” - George W. Bush, on US military action in Afghanistan

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Slides were not numbered in 1919. A few were reportedly numbered in 1924 Transition guns, but numbering generally started with the 1937 contract guns and continued through mid 1943.
The S15 was the original inspection stamp used when the gun was originally accepted. The plastic grips and the Augusta Arsenal marks are from the rebuild. I assume the gun is also parkereized now.
Arsenals started marking the letters (like AA)on some of the guns in the late 1930's, and continued this practice throught the early 50's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so there is no reason not to assume that this is an "original" slide.

The gun was parkerized when I rescued it from my mother-in-law's rather damp garage. However it had faded to the point that it looked like a light blueing. I recently ended up stripping all of the existing finish off and reblueing the thing in order to combat the rust that had built up after 30 years of neglect. It looks and shoots great now (200 rds of CCI Blazer through it without a single hiccup so far).

One other note. I thought the AA rebuilds swapped in chrome plated barrels... but this thing still has an unchromed one. Anyone know how to identify a barrel as pre-WWII? The only markings on it are "COLT 45 AUTO" along the top of the chamber.

------------------
“What’s the use of sending a $2 million missile into a $10 tent to hit a camel in the butt?” - George W. Bush, on US military action in Afghanistan

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
A barrel marked "Colt .45 Auto" on the top of the barrel is post-WW2 production. If it also has a "P" on the lower lug then it's military contract. If not, then it's a commercial barrel. See the barrel ID on my website for more info.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at your site, and the closest example is the post WWII field replacement, with the "COLT 45 AUTO" on the top of the chamber and the C-in-square on the lug. BUT, the C-in-square on my barrel is on the opposite side as your example (on the side where the 'P' is in your example) and there is no 'P' marker. The website lists these models as being with a 'P' and/_OR_ C-in-square, so would this barrel be a military issue or would it be a commercial replacement?

Thanks for the insite (and all the great info on your web-site!)

------------------

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
That indicates a post-war commercial barrel. The correct, original barrel had an intertwined "HP" on the top of the chamber. Since the gun is an arsenal rebuild however, just about ANY vintage GI barrel would be proper for the gun.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts