1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in two places. You can see it in the pics, just above and below the 45ACP markings.I cant feel any rough spots in the slide. Is this common, will it work itself out ? Gun only has 325 rounds run through it.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Has pistol been reliable with the 325 rds through it? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Put a drop of lube on the barrel hood before shooting.

I would take a look inside the slide however at the lug grooves. They aren't rough or peened over in any way, are they?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Has pistol been reliable with the 325 rds through it? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Put a drop of lube on the barrel hood before shooting.

I would take a look inside the slide however at the lug grooves. They aren't rough or peened over in any way, are they?
^ I would polish the lugs in the slide lightly with some 400 then shoe shine the lugs on the barrel lightly. Don't go to crazy. Don't want to decrease lug engagement in any way. Just smooth it out

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Of course it scratches. That barrel is just itchin' to be shot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is normal and will get a little worse as you keep shooting but don't worry about it and have fun with your new gun.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Don't remove them, it will only happen again, and again and again. Does not necessarily mean there is contact with the slide, could be gases as they escape, unburnt powder, etc.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
There are guys that will tell you that the chamber can be clearanced so that doesn't happen. All that will end up doing is loosening your barrel lockup and fit. Any time metal rubs against metal it's gonna scratch. Typically slides are pretty hard, metallurgically speaking, and even more so if the gun has been melonited or some other type of nitro carburized finish.

·
Premium Member
7,713 Posts
Easy fix! Remove barrel, polish barrel hood with Flitz until it is mirror bright. Polish 3 more times until you have used at least 1/2 of the tube. Make sure this is the new Flitz and not the old stuff. Once the hood looks like triple player chrome, carefully, very very carefully reassemble pistol so as to not scratch barrel hood and absolutely NEVER EVER cycle slide again! See ? Nothing to it! Don't be so anal ! I have a brother that absolutely drives me up a wall to the point where I avoid him at all costs because he is soooo OCD that he can't even function. If I seem a bit harsh now you know why.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This looks like pistol abuse. Before some one calls the authorities on you I would suggest you get rid of that pistol and destroy any evidence of it immediately. I don't normally do this but I'll help you with disposing of the pistol. I won't charge you too much and you won't find yourself being punished for this. Decide to keep it and continue abusing it I will pray for your soul!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Easy fix! Remove barrel, polish barrel hood with Flitz until it is mirror bright. Polish 3 more times until you have used at least 1/2 of the tube. Make sure this is the new Flitz and not the old stuff. Once the hood looks like triple player chrome, carefully, very very carefully reassemble pistol so as to not scratch barrel hood and absolutely NEVER EVER cycle slide again! See ? Nothing to it! Don't be so anal ! I have a brother that absolutely drives me up a wall to the point where I avoid him at all costs because he is soooo OCD that he can't even function. If I seem a bit harsh now you know why.
LOl ! O.K. I'll just shoot until the darn thing quits.

·
Premium Member
15,737 Posts
I would refrain from polishing or doing anything else to the locking lugs in the top of the slide. Clean/oil/shoot.

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
Worrying about that is like the guys who worry about the carbon stains on the front of their revolver's cylinder. It's normal. Fuggidaboutit.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I can honestly say that is the first time I have ever seen a Bub Light bottle cap, nail clippers and a 1911 in the same photograph, but I can't say that I can see any abnormal scratches on that barrel!

Go Seahawks.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts