1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've seen the discussion on the slide stop lever scratching the frame when being installed. Now tell me - How do I install it without scratching the frame? It seems that most of the 1911 newbees end up scratching the frame - and I don't want to be one of those. I just got a Kimber UltraCarry SS and don't want to mar the finish.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Welcome philip!!!

Use a Q-Tip (remove the cotton) and use the end of it to push in the slide stop plunger. At the same time push the stop in until it contacts the Q-Tip (the Q-Tip is positioned flat along the frame). Remove the Q-Tip and push the slide stop up and in at the same time.

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Your slide stop can be contoured and polished slightly so that you don't need to depress the plunger with another tool at all, just line it up and put it in. Does NOT affect reliability or function. I've had 5 or 6 1911's set up this way.

------------------
"Your aim in life is not worth anything if you don't pull the trigger."

·
Registered
400 Posts
I intentionally let my right thumbnail grow longer than the rest. Haven't scratched a gun yet but have scratched the thumbnail.

[This message has been edited by prplhrtx3 (edited 08-12-2001).]

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey BOLANTEJ, it's not that long. LOL! I don't abide with the saying that all good Colt's should have the take down scratch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I have since learned to do it without scratching the frame. It's actually easier that I thought.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Philip,
GOOD JOB!!!!
there is no trick to getting the slide stop installed, just the know-how. I have worked on hundreds of 1911's and not scrached a single one. so can anyone.
Daniel :)

------------------
1 peter 5:8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts