1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SW 1911. At 200 rounds the factory slide stop sheered off and I replaced it with another one. I don't remember what brand. Anyways. now at 1k rounds or so, the slide stop will not engage after the last round is fired with either of my 2 magazines. I can manually push the slide stop up and it goes in, however it feels like it is binding slightly or there is slight resisitance there. Do slide stops get bent over time? How can I diagnose what the issue is? Or should I just call SW and send it back to them?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The short answer - send the pistol back to S&W -- they have good service and warranty and you should take advantage of that because .........

The Slide Stop is one of the parts that most frequently breaks on the 1911, when you are considering all the parts that could break BUT

There may be an underlying reason that caused the breakage.....you might want to look at the barrel's lower lugs to see if they are showing any signs of servere contact with the Slide Stop. At verticle lock up, the lower lugs should stand on the Slide Stop, but if the pistol has a bad timing issue it could cause damage to the Slide Stop and other parts of the pistol.

Try removing the Slide and recoil spring ......... then place the barrel on the frame bed and install the Slide Stop through the frame and barrel link. Press the barrel down and towards the hammer .....see if the Slide Stop will freely rotate.
It should.

JF.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts