1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

In a 1911 or more specifically a brand new Colt Model O1991, with the magazine removed and slide locked back, is it normal to not require much downward pressure on the slide stop to drop the slide? My slide stop seems to fit good and high in the notch on the slide, however it doesn't take much downward pressure to drop the slide.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Hey folks,

In a 1911 or more specifically a brand new Colt Model O1991, with the magazine removed and slide locked back, is it normal to not require much downward pressure on the slide stop to drop the slide? My slide stop seems to fit good and high in the notch on the slide, however it doesn't take much downward pressure to drop the slide.
its fine. The magazine is what puts upward pressure on the slide stop. Try it with an empty mag. The resistance you now feel is the mag spring pressure pushing on the follower. Good to go buddy.

·
Administrator
73,107 Posts
Now that you know it's normal, please refrain from dropping the slide on an empty chamber in the future. It's hard of the gun and even harder on your sear.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
There is another reason not to release the slide with the thumb on the slide stop.

Proper technique never uses the "Slide Stop" as a "Slide Release" for tactical pistol (real life fighting) usage. You will notice that the standard Glock "slide stop" is practically flat - on purpose. Small, precise motor motions in a hurry under great stress regularly get fudged - which is why we want to only use large, gross motor Motions instead, when it counts. CC

So, instead, to release the slide - reach up with your support hand, wrap your fingers around the slide (thumb side to rear) serrations, pull the slide all the way to the rear and let the fingers release and come off the back as it hits the end of travel. Circle the support hand back around to the grip and continue with business. CC

·
Administrator
73,107 Posts
Ironically on a Kahr pistol you normally can't chamber a round with the slingshot technique. You HAVE to use the slide stop or else it won't strip the round from the magazine. I've always used the slide stop on a 1911 to chamber the round just from force of habit, but again that's when there's actually a round present to cushion the slide as it slams home.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Ironically on a Kahr pistol you normally can't chamber a round with the slingshot technique. You HAVE to use the slide stop or else it won't strip the round from the magazine. I've always used the slide stop on a 1911 to chamber the round just from force of habit, but again that's when there's actually a round present to cushion the slide as it slams home.
Slightly off topic, but did you experience it with all Kahrs? I only experienced that issue with barrels of 3" and less. 3.5" one slingshoots just fine for me.

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
I totally ignore that 'slingshot' stuff. It's a much more natural and quick movement to pull the slide release with the weak hand after it locks in a mag and re-assumes it's grip. Plus, and I hate to say it, I don't carry spare mags anyway, so there is no 'tactical reload'. However, at the range, I do practice what I said above.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's been a tough learn to slingshot the slide my commander is the only semi auto I've owned that doesn't release the slide when you insert a fresh magazine. But I find I have to consciously not use the slide stop to release the slide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts