1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, I come seeking some true insight on what I should do, because I'm a little steamed right now. Let me start this off right though. I bought a Nighthawk GRP in August this year. Fine gun, I was happy with the purchase.

Well I took it out and after every last round it failed to lock back, as the Slide Stop wasn't connecting with the Mag. Looked at the bottom of the stop and noticed a 'ramp', if you will, on the underside of the Slide Stop. Clearly, this was the reason it wasn't locking back. Nighthawk took it back, 'fixed' it, and I got it back.

I go to shoot it, bam, happens again. Look at the slide stop, bam, ramp is there. But this time the Slide Stop has been finished so it was meant to be there. Now I thought that they got just refinished it on accident, but I took a look at a Talon II at my local shop and that Slide Stop is the exact same. I don't know what's up with their Slide Stops.

Anyways, I come here asking on what new slide stop should I get, Wilson, Brown, etc.? And how hard is it to fit a new one? I tried searching, but couldn't find any definitive help.

Thanks for looking, any help or advice is appreciated. Also, before anyone asks I have tried Springfield's 7 Rounders, Wilson's 47Ds, McCormick's Shooting Stars, and the Nightahwk/ACT 8 rounders all failed to lock back. So if you think it's the mags, got any suggestions? I'll post pics of it, if ya'll want, it'll have to be after work though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could be an issue with the magazine / follower and not the slide stop. If you pull the slide and then insert an empty magazine, look to see how the leg on the follower engages the slide stop.

The follower leg that engages the slide stop has to be over far enough to properly engage the slide stop. I have a few el-cheapo magazines that will feed OK, but when viewing the engagement are way off. Heck, even the magazine tube is off enough on the cheap mags to not allow the follower proper position.
Do a search as this has been discussed before.

Tom

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
your nighthawk slide stop is most likely out of spec if it would not engage any of your other magazines.
i've had excellent luck fitting a Fusion slide stop for my LesBaer as a spare recently. Fusion has a lot of meat to it and not that difficult to work on.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Slide Stop

If the leg of the slide stop lever is properly engaging the mag follower, then everything should work fine. If the slide stop lever is not wide enough to contact the mag follower, then it can't force the lever up, and the slide won't stay locked back after the last round is fired. If you are confident the slide stop lever is making good contact with the mag follower, then there may be something binding on the slide stop that is not allowing the slide stop to rotate upward when the mag spring/follower is pushing upward.

I would make sure the gun is empty, remove the slide, insert the slide stop through the frame hole, then carefully and slowly insert an empty mag. If you see there is good contact between the slide stop lever and the follower, then that is good, and everything so far is OK. Now reassemble the empty gun, insert an empty mag, and slowly pull the slide back.....if the slide stop pin does not rotate then it can't catch the slide lock notch in the slide. You should be able to feel how much pressure is exerted by the empty mag on the slide stop when the slide is partially moved reaward. Make sure the link is not binding on the slide stop, and make sure the slide stop is not rubbing excessively against the frame somehow.

Sounds like something is binding on the slide stop.....the trick is determining what the heck it is!

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Might want to try this first, since it's so easy and, if it's the problem, can be quickly fixed. If the slide-stop lug isn't being activated by the mags, then this probably isn't it, but try anyway to make sure. Assemble the gun, but leave the barrel and slide-stop plunger out. Insert the slide stop into the frame, and try to push it up to locked position. If it won't, then the slot on the top of the lug likely has interference. Ink up the slot on the top of the lug, try it, and relieve as needed inside the slot on its back wall. If you're binding there and relieve it, I'll bet all will be good to go.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome guys, I appreciate the quick replies. When I get home, I'm going to try your suggestions and see what happens. I'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Could it be a problem with the spring or plunger, holding the slide stop down? How hard is it to move the slide stop up by hand?

With the slide off the gun, insert an empty mag in the frame with the slide stop in place. Apart from follower contact witht he stop, check the action of the plunger on the stop. The plunger may be binding in its tube, its spring may be too strong, or the contact surface on the stop may need smoothing or adjustment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Subscriber, I doubt it's the plunger tube or spring as it's not that hard to manipulate.

I do believe that it has something to do with the Actuator (sp?), the part that is engaged by the mag follower. Mine is ramped a bit, but when I look at my TRP or my Colt's Slide Stops, it's completely flat, no ramp or anything.

Does anyone else's Slide Stop have a "ramp" or are they all pretty much flat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here's the slide stop in question. The one on the right is the Nighthawk, the one on the left is a Springfield. The ramp is finished so maybe it's supposed to be like that? What are ya'll thoughts?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Try a different slide stop in the Nighthawk. The slide stop on the right in your picture looks like it's had a file taken to it. For sure it looks to short in width to engage the mag lip.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Seems like a logical step, out of curiosity alone, would be to ask the folks who did the slide stop that way - why don't you call Nighthawk and see what they say?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So apparently, the Slide Stop is made that way. It's a Greider Slide Stop and a bunch of folks use them. Anyone have a suggestion on a decent replacement? Is Ed Brown decent?

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Interesting photo. The Nighthawk SS has Log's insertion groove in it! But I see the ramp you are talking about. I wonder if that is someone's answer to the same question, insertion? But I agree, that surface has to be flat. Log's groove doesn't effect the flat surface.

Well, other than pins and the smaller springs the slide stop is one of the cheaper parts to replace.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Did you try the Springfield's SS in your gun?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you try the Springfield's SS in your gun?
Yeah, I mean it sorta fit. It was tight through the frame, but the Barrel Link was a bit loose, it had some play in it. I wasn't sure how the fit is supposed to be, so I didn't try to shoot it with the Springfield SS. Would the loose fit be detrimental to the gun or is it not a cause for concern?

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Slide stop

For optimal accuracy, the slide stop should push upward against the barrel lugs, and fit loosely through the link hole. The main purpose of the link is to pull the barrel down when the slide starts moving rearward after being fired.
On a well fitted barrel, and with the slide closed, you should be able to press down on the top of the barrel near the hood extension, and the barrel should not move up or down. If it does, the slide stop is not properly supporting the lower lugs (feet) of the barrel. I have seen some guns that have a loose fit still shoot good, but this is not the best fit for accuracy. The loose fit of the slide stop pin can allow inconsistent lock-up of the barrel. Usually a loose fit of a slide stop against the barrel lugs destroys accuracy.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Yeah, I mean it sorta fit.
Did you try cycling it by hand with an empty mag in it? If that angled flat in the original SS is the culprit that should show it, no? Of course, if it's so tight in the frame that it can't toggle up it wouldn't.

·
Banned
293 Posts
I just checked mine, it does have a ramp, but yours look like too much metal has been taken off, the ramp on mine is not that steep... It doesn't cut in to the groove, in fact it doesn't even come close to touching it... I would send it back and demand a new slide stop be put in....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts